Women’s cross-country places last in NCAAs

(Photo by Elijah Grasser)

After having high hopes after making the NCAA Championships, the ASU women’s cross-country team had a disappointing finish to their season, finishing in 31st place out of 31 teams in Monday’s race at Terre Haute, Ind.

Coach Ryan Cole was not satisfied with his team’s performance.

“Today was a tough day for us,” Cole said. “We struggled across the board today and didn’t have the intensity required to be successful at the NCAA meet.”

The Sun Devils were led again by freshman Shelby Houlihan, who finished in 93rd place in a time of 20:57. Senior Lindsay Prescott, who ran in her final race as a Sun Devil, finished in 191st place in a time of 21:47. Freshman Macy Bricks finished just behind Prescott, recording a 204th place finish in 21:54.

The other scorers for the Sun Devils were redshirt junior Kate Lydy (210th, 21:57) and fellow redshirt junior Natasa Vulic (224th, 22:10).

Cole understands that this race can be taken as a learning experience for next year, though.

“As a team, we had NCAA Championships 101 today,” Cole said. “We had the physical preparation to be competitive and thought we had the mental preparation. We were wrong. We needed to learn the dynamics that go into the event. That’s pretty tough to experience if we don’t qualify, so having the team earn a spot this year is important to our future progress and we all expect better outcomes next year.”

Reach the reporter at dsshapi1@asu