The State Press job descriptions

NOW OPEN:

Staff Positions

———————–

PRINT AND ONLINE EDITORIAL STAFF

———————–

Web editor (paid) Apply

The State Press seeks an online editor to join its growing digital team. The online editor manages all digital content found on statepress.com and statepress.com/magazine. The online editor works directly with section editors to ensure stories and photos are displaying correctly and links are updated and working. They are responsible for updating and maintaining the front page of statepress.com every day. The online editor must have a basic grasp of HTML and be comfortable working with WordPress and Adobe programs, especially Photoshop. They may also design and develop special projects connected to editorial content under their own byline. The online editor is an organized and creative individual who pays close attention to details.

News reporter (Lead) (paid) Apply
Full-time reporters must attend weekly Sunday budget meetings. A full-time news reporter produces three pieces of content, which can be substituted for multiple online articles or multimedia extras. They must research and pitch their own story ideas and move forward once an editor approves each story. They are required to remain in daily contact with news editors.

News reporter (Full time) (paid) Apply

Full-time reporters must attend weekly Sunday budget meetings. A full-time news reporter produces three pieces of content, which can be substituted for multiple online articles or multimedia extras. They must research and pitch their own story ideas and move forward once an editor approves each story. They are required to remain in daily contact with news editors.

Beats are as follows:

Business reporter

With a student population growing every semester, Tempe has blossomed into a thriving city with new shops and restaurants opening. The business reporter must keep readers up to date on the latest news within the business community. This reporter should not let Tempe be his or her boundary. What businesses exist around the Downtown, West and Polytechnic campuses? How is the job market looking for students? Keeping in contact with ASU’s entrepreneurship program personnel is also an essential part of the job. The business reporter must focus his or her stories on the ASU community with a student angle.

Politics reporter

This reporter covers national and local political events if they affect ASU students. He or she must be a watchdog of ASU’s Undergraduate Student Government and other political organizations that control millions of dollars in student fees. The politics reporter stays up to date with the Arizona Legislature, bills/laws, protests or upcoming political demonstrations directly related to ASU. The politics reporter must be available to attend various student government meetings, write follow-up stories, meet with political representatives and communicate with news editors about any trends or campus-wide initiatives.

Note: This position requires blogging, some social media work and can occasionally be called on to provide political commentary on a weekly video show. 

Diversity reporter

Students from around the country and the world attend ASU. This makes it a diverse community of race, gender, culture and religion. The diversity reporter is charged with the task of finding unique stories and within these various groups — providing a voice for the voiceless.

City reporter

Thousands of students become Tempe residents each year. As the University expands into other parts of Arizona, the city reporter’s job is to explore how the University affects each community. While Tempe remains the main focus for this role, the city reporter may expand his or her coverage to include Phoenix, Glendale or Mesa. City reporters essentially write stories focused on the relationship between cities and ASU. He or she covers city events connected with the University and meets with city officials. The city reporter has the freedom to write hard or soft news stories.

Police reporter

Law enforcement officers work hard to keep ASU students safe. They rely on the media to inform the public about how they can better protect themselves. The police reporter is charged with relaying this information to the public as well as finding interesting stories about arrests and investigations carried out by the ASU and Tempe police departments. Every week, the police reporter is required to turn in at least two stories, compile three short police reports and complete one ride-along with Tempe police and ASU police.

Note: This position requires the reporter to be on-call for any breaking news. 

Science, Tech and Innovation reporter

Like other universities, ASU is a testing ground for innovations in science and technologies. This reporter must find stories by looking into these projects and relating them to readers in a simplified and understandable way. This role not only requires coverage of interesting inventions, but of specific developments within each college. They may explore projects in the School of Sustainability or cover initiatives in the W.P. Carey School of Business. This reporter has the option to search and seek visionaries in education, law, engineering or health.

Note: This reporter will be required to provide commentary on a weekly video show. 

Administration reporter

Will tuition be raised this year? Is the school planning a new building? The administration reporter is charged with answering this question and many others in a beat that allows the writer to explore the skeleton that holds ASU together. The administration reporter finds interesting and compelling stories about the people who control the University and the projects they are working on. He or she is required to attend bi-weekly University Senate meetings and attend or watch monthly Arizona Board of Regents meetings. This position is required to request public records.

Note: This position requires blogging and may be called on to provide commentary on a weekly video show. 

Student Life reporter

Events are happening daily across ASU’s four campuses. If students are involved, the student life reporter should be on top of it. This reporter has a lot of opportunity for in-depth human stories about the college experience. The student life reporter covers Greek life and keeps in close contact with fraternity and sorority leaders throughout the semester. This reporter focuses on variety of student clubs and events happening in dorms.

News reporter (part time) (unpaid) Apply

Part-time reporters write one story per week and attend weekly news meetings. Since they do not hold a specific beat, they are allowed to cover and operate as general assignment reporters. These positions write shorter online stories and are on-call for any breaking news. They can also work on in-depth feature stories approved by a section editor.

A&E reporter (part time) (unpaid) Apply

Part-time A&E reporters contribute one article per week, write reviews, blog about a topic of their choice and work as general assignment writers. These positions write for online but have the ability to contribute in-depth feature stories approved by section editors for both the print and online issue. Part-time A&E reporters have the freedom to interchange one article for two blog posts one week, and shoot video and write a brief story for the next.

Graphics editor (paid) Apply

The graphics editor is a creative individual who is comfortable working with Adobe platforms such as Photoshop and Illustrator and other digital media tools to produce distinct graphics or design elements for various stories. They are knowledgeable in design principles, typography and perhaps layout. This editor produces illustrations, infographics and may be asked to design front-page print covers. They are required to produce two small graphics or one large project per week for print or online editions. The graphics editor is supervised by the managing editor and frequently communicates with the design editor of any upcoming projects. He or she must attend weekly budget meetings.

Note: Applicants are required to show a portfolio. 

Return to the application

———————–

OPINION

———————–

Opinion columnist  (unpaid) (Part time: two columns/month) Apply

Part-time columnists research, report and write opinion-based columns (around 500 words) on issues relevant to State readership. Topics are selected by the writer, but must be approved by the opinion editor. All columnists are responsible for meeting deadlines set by the opinion editor, as well as revising columns and being available to do so on the set deadline day. Writers are also responsible for responding to any e-mails they may receive in reponse to a column.

Return to the application

———————–

PHOTO & MULTIMEDIA

———————–

Photojournalists (part time) (unpaid) Apply

Part-time photojournalists are held to the same standard of quality as full-time photojournalists. They attend weekly photo desk meetings and collaborate with all sections to produce innovative and illustrative photos. This position requires a large amount of independence and responsibility; part-time photographers typically cover 1 to 3 photo assignments a week and often have to contact story subjects or attend interviews with reporters. They regularly contribute content for Photo of the Day.

———————–

STATE PRESS MAGAZINE

———————–

SPM photographer (unpaid) Apply

An SPM photographer is responsible for exploring various subjects through a visual lens and providing high-quality content. They are expected to create one photo essay a week. They also collaborate with SPM writers in order to craft feature photographs for other stories. They will work most closely with the SPM photo and multimedia editor.

Lead writer (paid) (2) Apply

The SPM lead writer is responsible for producing one story per week as well as four enterprise stories per semester of the highest quality, acting as an example for the rest of the writing staff. He or she may explore a variety of topics that is newsworthy or that may personally interest them. The lead writer contributes to the print publication and has the option of photographing their own assignments. The lead writer must include at least one multimedia or visual element to their enterprise story.

SPM Writer (unpaid) Apply

SPM writers are responsible for writing one story every other week. They keep up to date with trends and developments related to the ASU community and are comfortable with meeting people, interviewing subjects and writing in a variety of styles. In fact, they like it. These individuals show initiative and curiosity as well as the determination to share his or her findings in an expressive and engaging form.