The State Press job descriptions

EDITORIAL LEADERSHIP

Managing editor (paid) Apply

The managing editor is responsible for any tasks specifically delegated by the editor-in-chief. He or she works closely with newsroom and design staff to ensure consistency in local design and AP style. The position acts as a liaison for freelance writers, Cronkite 301 students or any other contributors. He or she mentors beginning reporters, directly supervises the investigative reporter and leads the newsroom in the editor-in-chief’s absence. The managing editor attends daily budget meetings and helps the editor-in-chief oversee final production.

Graphic design editor (paid) Apply
The graphic design editor produces online visual components for statepress.com and designs State Press Magazine three times each semester. The graphic design editor works out of the Tempe or Downtown newsroom five nights each week and coordinates with the news, sports, A&E and opinion desks to build corresponding infographics. The graphic design editor also works closely with the managing editor to ensure investigative stories are accompanied by one or two original graphics.

Online editor (paid) Apply

The online editor manages all digital content found on statepress.com and statepress.com/magazine. The online editor works directly with section editors to ensure stories and photos are displaying correctly and links are updated and working, as well as adding related links to each story. He or she is responsible for updating and maintaining the front page of statepress.com and statepress.com/magazine every day and works from the newsroom five nights a week. While these publications are both State Press products, they each have distinct voices, and the online editor must work to keep those voices clear and well-defined. The online editor supervises the social media team by working with the executive editor and editors in chief. The online editor must have a basic grasp of HTML and CSS and be comfortable working with WordPress and Adobe programs. They may also design and develop special projects connected to editorial content under their own byline. The online editor is an organized and creative individual who pays close attention to details.

Social media editor (paid) Apply

The social media editor is a shared position between The State Press and State Press Magazine and reports to the executive editor. The editor’s job is to promote content on Twitter, Facebook and other social media outlets and interact with readers/viewers/listeners through those outlets. Essentially, the social media editor is the State Press’ online voice and serves as a liaison between the newsroom and readers. The social media editor works from the newsroom five nights a week alongside the editors to be aware of what content is being prepared for statepress.com and statepressmagazine.com. The editor will work to grow Twitter followers and Facebook interactions, but will take special interest in more nuanced social media platforms such as Tumblr and Instagram. The social media editor is responsible for overseeing social media use by reporters, writers, photographers and editors.

Social media assistant editor (unpaid)Apply

The social media assistant works under the social media editor to promote State Press content online. The assistant editor works from the newsroom two to three nights each week alongside the editors to be aware of what content is being prepared for statepress.com and statepressmagazine.com. The assistant editor will work with the editor to set individual platform goals and to execute them day to day; this could be follower growth on Twitter or likes on Tumblr.

News editor (paid) Apply

The news editor runs the news desk, leads weekly budget meetings with reporters to assign stories and deliver feedback and is ultimately responsible for all news content, including organizing multimedia, photos and graphics to accompany stories. The news editor assigns stories, as well as accompanying mobile video and photo assignments, to news reporters. The news editor contributes two long-form story pitches every week. These pitches have a visual component and focus on narrative writing and data gathering. In addition to editing stories, this individual must be on the lookout for what’s going on at ASU and the surrounding community. He or she is required to work in the Phoenix or Tempe offices Sunday through Thursday. The news editor directs reporters in the news-gathering process and ensures each beat receives appropriate coverage. He or she attends afternoon budget meetings five days a week. On a weekly basis, the news editor prepares and distributes a schedule for the upcoming week to the news staff. He or she is expected to edit and publish at least five news articles a day Sunday through Thursday, and edit content as needed on weekends.

Asst. news editor (paid) Apply

The assistant news editor communicates with the news editor on a daily basis. The assistant news editor schedules and edits online and articles and mobile videos and photos, in addition to writing and editing breaking news content. This editor closely monitors ASU stories from other news media. He or she contributes one long-form story pitch every week. This pitch has a visual component and focuses on narrative writing and data gathering. He or she helps edit final news copy and works from the Tempe or Phoenix newsroom at least three nights Sunday-Thursday but may also act as a representative for the news desk in case of the news editor’s absence.

Opinion editor (paid) Apply

The opinion editor manages the opinion section of The State Press and is responsible for hiring columnists and editorial cartoonists, organizing weekly schedules, editing columns and writing two to three editorials each week. The opinion editor is responsible for publishing at least three columns each day. He or she attends editorial budget meetings five days each week and edits letters to the editor. The opinion editor is required to contribute three to five editorial ideas to each editorial discussion. He or she leads weekly meetings with the opinion staff to approve pitches and provide feedback. On a weekly basis, he or she prepares and distributes a schedule for the upcoming week to the opinion staff.

Sports editor (paid) Apply

The sports editor is responsible for daily coverage of all ASU athletics and manages a staff of reporters. The editor assigns coverage, schedules daily sports content, prepares and edits online stories, acts as the primary liaison between The State Press’ sports department and the ASU athletics department and represents The State Press at athletic events as needed. The sports editor contributes two long-form story pitches every week. These pitches have a visual component and focus on narrative writing and data gathering. The sports editor attends daily afternoon budget meetings. On a weekly basis, the sports editor prepares and distributes a schedule for the upcoming week to the sports staff and maintains communication with the rest of the editorial board, sports staff and athletic department. The sports editor also leads weekly meetings with reporters to provide feedback and assign feature stories. This editor will work on weekends to edit game content as needed.

Asst. sports editor (paid) Apply

The assistant sports editor communicates with the sports editor on a daily basis and manages coverage of ASU athletics. The assistant sports editor helps schedule and edit content in addition to writing original content. The sports editor also writes breaking news content and represents the organization at athletic events as needed. He or she contributes one long-form story pitch every week. This pitch has a visual component and focuses on narrative writing and data gathering. He or she works from the Tempe or Phoenix newsroom at least three nights Sunday-Thursday. This editor also works on weekends to edit game content as needed.

A&E editor (paid) Apply

The A&E editor is responsible for coverage of all arts and entertainment news and reviews, including movies, music, shows/concerts, video games, books and food. The A&E editor manages and assigns stories to a staff of reporters in developing daily content for statepress.com. The A&E editor is responsible for holding a weekly budget to assign stories and provide feedback to reporters. He or she is responsible for compiling events for an online calendar and managing blogs. The A&E editor attends afternoon budget meetings five days a week and contributes at least two long-form story pitches each week. On a weekly basis, the A&E editor prepares and distributes a schedule for the upcoming week to the A&E staff.

Asst. A&E editor (paid) Apply

The assistant A&E editor communicates with the A&E editor on a daily basis and helps schedule and edit content in addition to writing at least one piece of original work each week. He or she contributes one long-form story pitch every week. This pitch has a visual component and focuses on narrative writing and data gathering. The assistant A&E editor works from the Tempe or Phoenix newsroom at least three nights Sunday-Thursday.

Photo editor (paid) Apply

The photo editor is responsible for coordinating all art for statepress.com and manages a staff of photographers. The photo editor works under the editor-in-chief and multimedia editor as well as with section editors to ensure that the photo desk is aware of every budgeted story. The photo editor holds weekly meetings with photographers to coordinate their schedules, address problems, critique the previous week’s work and distribute photo assignments. The photo editor also manages separate projects like photo essays and stand-alone slideshows and attends a daily afternoon budget meeting five days each week. He or she works closely with section editors and the online editor to ensure that stories are displayed visually in the best way possible. The photo editor also works closely with the social media editor to ensure that he or she has photos to share on social accounts.

Asst. photo editor (paid) Apply

The assistant photo editor communicates with the photo editor on a daily basis. The assistant photo editor helps to budget stories, upload photographs online and address any concerns. This editor takes at least two assignments each week, supervises staffers and photographs two in-depth photo essays of their choice each semester. The assistant photo editor works from the Tempe or Phoenix newsroom three nights a week, but can also oversee production in the photo editor’s absence and may attend daily afternoon budget meetings in his or her place. He or she is responsible for managing The State Press’s Instagram account with assistance from the social media editor.

Copy chief (paid) Apply

The copy chief works from the newsroom each night Sunday-Thursday and is responsible for proofing all material on statepress.com. This includes fact-checking, verifying names, quotes and titles and editing for grammar and Associated Press style. The copy chief regularly monitors the website for design or copy errors. The copy chief directly manages and supervises copy editors and distributes a weekly digest of the previous week’s factual and stylistic errors.

EDITORIAL STAFF

Investigative reporter (full time) (paid) Apply

The investigative reporter is a senior staff position that works on at least three in-depth stories every semester. This position produces high-quality content concerning health, safety, transportation and University affairs. This reporter takes the initiative in researching, gathering sources and compiling data or information that can be visually and editorially represented. Although this position does not have daily deadlines, the investigative reporter reports to the managing editor with weekly memos on his or her progress. In addition, this position may be required to file public records requests under the supervision of the managing editor.

News reporter (full time) (paid) (5) Apply

A full-time news reporter produces two pieces of content each week, with the potential to sub out one story for two blog posts or a multimedia story. They must research and pitch their own story ideas and attend weekly budget meetings. Full time reporters are on a rotating schedule to compile the police beat each week. They are on call for breaking news and responsible for working with photographers, multimedia reporters and designers to make their stories complete, as well as taking their own short mobile videos and photos. They must be available in person to do edits on their stories.

News reporter (part time) (unpaid) Apply

Part-time reporters write one story per week and attend weekly news meetings. These positions are on-call for any breaking news. They are responsible for working with photographers, multimedia reporters and designers to make their stories complete, as well as taking their own short mobile videos and photos. They must be available in person to do edits on their stories.

A&E reporter (full time) (paid) (2) Apply

Full-time A&E reporters write two stories each week, one of which is a longer feature and one of which is a shorter profile or story. They must attend weekly budget meetings and be available in person to do edits on their stories. These reporters focus on the ASU and local arts community, which includes fine art, theater, music, literature, food and nightlife. The reporter must closely collaborate with photographers to ensure each of his or her stories have a visual element. These reporters contribute web video and photos using mobile devices.

A&E reporter (part time) (unpaid) Apply

Part-time A&E reporters contribute one article/review and one blog post per week. They must attend weekly budget meetings and be available to do edits in person on the stories. These reporters contribute web video and photos using mobile devices and closely collaborate with photographers to ensure each of his or her stories have a visual element.

Sports reporter (full time) (paid) Apply

Full-time sports reporters cover the following ASU sports in the spring: men and women’s basketball, baseball, softball, golf, water polo, hockey, track and field, sand volleyball, swim and dive and gymnastics. Each reporter follows day-to-day happenings of their team and attends at least one practice each week. They conduct interviews and produce multiple stories each week including previews, game stories, note packages and features. Reporters build a working relationship with sports information directors, players and coaches to facilitate the highest quality of coverage. They also contribute to a rotating column. These reporters attend weekly budget meetings and contribute short mobile video and photos.

Sports reporter (part time) (unpaid) Apply

Part-time sports reporters assist full-time sports reporters in covering their beats. They will be assigned to partner with a full-time reporter to conduct interviews and produce stories including previews, game stories, note packages and features. Reporters build a working relationship with sports informations directors, players and coaches to facilitate the highest quality of coverage. These reporters attend weekly budget meetings and contribute short mobile video and photos.

Copy editor (paid) (3) Apply

Copy editors are responsible for reading every story for grammar, content and AP style. This work includes fact-checking, verifying names, quotes and titles and contacting reporters, columnists and writers if there are any questions or discrepancies. The copy editors monitor the website for any errors. Copy editors are managed by the copy chief.

Full-time opinion columnist (unpaid)Apply

Full-time columnists research, report and write opinion-based columns on issues relevant to State Press readership. Topics are selected by the writer but must be approved by the opinion editor. Full-time columnists write one column per week. All columnists are responsible for meeting deadlines set by the opinion editor, as well as revising columns and being available in person to do so on the set deadline day. Writers are also responsible for responding to any emails they may receive in response to a column. Opinion writers must attend weekly meetings to go over pitches and feedback. They may be asked to contribute to a weekly video to accompany their column.

Part-time opinion columnist (unpaid) Apply

Part-time columnists research, report and write opinion-based columns every other week on issues relevant to State Press readership. Topics are selected by the writer but must be approved by the opinion editor. All columnists are responsible for meeting deadlines set by the opinion editor, as well as revising columns and being available in person to do so on the set deadline day. Writers are also responsible for responding to any emails they may receive in response to a column. Opinion writers must attend weekly meetings to go over pitches and feedback.They may be asked to contribute to a weekly video accompanying their column.

Sports columnist (unpaid) Apply

The sports columnist writes a weekly sports column on a variety of topics ranging from ASU and professional sports to off-the-wall sports and sports-related human interest stories. The sports column provides a source of regular commentary and perspective to complement the paper’s objective coverage of ASU athletics.

Cartoonist (unpaid) Apply

Cartoonists are responsible for producing five cartoons per week. All cartoons must be submitted by the deadline determined by the photo editor. They are responsible for conceptualizing, drawing, scanning and cropping their own work, which is subject to review by their editor.

Editorial cartoonist (unpaid) Apply

An editorial cartoonist create original artwork/cartoons/caricatures that editorialize current events. They create one cartoon per week and are unpaid. Cartoonists are responsible for meeting deadlines set by the opinion editor and acknowledge that all work is subject to review by the opinion editor or editorial board.

Return to the application

Photojournalists (Full time) (paid) Apply

Photojournalists work to provide high-quality content for statepress.com. They attend weekly photo desk meetings and collaborate with all sections to produce innovative and illustrative photos. This position requires a large amount of independence and responsibility; photographers typically cover 4 to 6 photo assignments a week and often have to contact story subjects or attend interviews with reporters. In addition, photojournalists are expected to produce one photo essay each semester and should submit enough photographs for each assignment to compile a slideshow. Applicants must own and be familiar with their own digital SLR camera.

Photojournalists (part time) (unpaid) Apply

Part-time photojournalists are held to the same standard of quality as full-time photojournalists. They attend weekly photo desk meetings and collaborate with all sections to produce innovative and illustrative photos. This position requires a large amount of independence and responsibility; part-time photographers typically cover 2 to 3 photo assignments a week and often have to contact story subjects or attend interviews with reporters.

Multimedia producer (paid) Apply

The multimedia producer collaborates with section desks to create engaging videos with relevant sources. This producer works with digital SLRs and assists the multimedia editor with post-production. They focus on long-term projects and bi-weekly news packages but may also produce shorter packages. This individual shows initiative, visual enterprise and focuses on documentary-style content.

Multimedia news reporter (full time) (paid) Apply

Full-time multimedia news reporters are responsible for producing one news package each week and attending weekly budget meetings. These reporters develop sources, research and pitch story ideas, and move forward once topics are approved by the multimedia director. Multimedia news reporters receive guidance from the news desk and the multimedia director. News packages run between 1:30 and 2:00 minutes in length and include a minimum of three on-camera interviews. This reporter also works with the photo department to produce audio slideshows in exchange for video or other special projects.

Multimedia sports reporter (full time) (paid) Apply

Full-time multimedia sports reporters are responsible for producing one sports package each week and attending weekly budget meetings. These reporters develop sources, research and pitch story ideas, and move forward once topics are approved by the multimedia director. Multimedia sports reporters receive guidance from the sports desk and the multimedia director. Sports packages run between 1:30 and 2:00 minutes in length. This reporter also works with the photo department to produce audio slideshows in exchange for video or other special projects.

Multimedia reporter (part time) (unpaid) Apply

Part-time multimedia news reporters are responsible for producing one news package every other week and attending weekly budget meetings. These reporters develop sources, research and pitch story ideas, and move forward once topics are approved by the multimedia director. Multimedia news reporters receive guidance from the news desk and the multimedia director. News packages run between 1:30 and 2:00 minutes in length and include a minimum of three on-camera interviews. This reporter also works with the photo department to produce audio slideshows in exchange for video or other special projects.

STATE PRESS MAGAZINE

Assistant editor (paid) Apply

The SPM assistant editor is responsible for editing for style and grammar in magazine content. He or she maintains communication with the magazine editor, writers, bloggers and photographers. The assistant editor manages his or her own staff of bloggers, oversees website quality and monitors social media with the help of the social media editor. The assistant editor attends weekly budget meetings and serves as the direct supervisor in the magazine editor in chief’s absence.

Multimedia editor (paid) Apply

The photo and multimedia editor is responsible for managing and assigning photographers and videographers for each story, maintaining quality of each photo and video and representing the artistic goals of the publication. He or she collaborates with State Press photo staff and ensures the creation of multimedia for SPM. This editor takes the artistic approach when intertwining multimedia elements with magazine stories. He or she produces original content, but they are not bound to a single medium. He or she may chose to include interactive polls, video storytelling, stop-motion photography, embedded playlists, photo or audio slideshows, audio snippets and more. This editor attends weekly budget meetings. Applicants must own and be familiar with their own digital SLR camera.

Lead writer (paid) Apply

The SPM lead writer is responsible for producing one story per week as well as four enterprise stories per semester of the highest quality, acting as an example for the rest of the writing staff. He or she may explore a variety of topics that are newsworthy or that may personally interest them. The lead writer contributes to the print publication and has the option of photographing their own assignments. The lead writer must include at least one multimedia or visual element with their enterprise stories.

Part-time writer (unpaid) Apply

Reporters are responsible for writing one story every other week. They keep up to date with trends and developments related to the ASU community and are comfortable with meeting people, interviewing subjects and writing in a variety of styles. In fact, they like it. These individuals show initiative and curiosity as well as the determination to share his or her findings in an expressive and engaging form.

SPM multimedia reporter (paid and unpaid) Apply

SPM multimedia reporters are responsible for producing one or more weekly packages, photographic essays or infographics pertaining to locally relevant art, music, theater, books, film, television and more, or magazine-style web-TV segments like movie reviews or cooking shows, for example. These reporters are managed by the multimedia editor. Packages follow the same general requirements, ranging from 1:30 to 2:00 minutes in length with a minimum of three on-camera interviews. Multimedia reporters may also work with writers to develop alternative forms of storytelling with the use of infographics, gifs or stop motion photography. An SPM photographer is responsible for exploring various subjects through a visual lens and providing high-quality content. They are expected to create one photo essay a week. They also collaborate with SPM writers in order to craft feature photographs for other stories. The positions are supervised by the multimedia editors.

Blogger (unpaid) Apply

An SPM blogger is committed to a specific topic for the semester and is responsible for writing one 300-500-word post each week about it as well as providing photography to accompany each post. These are written in a conversational, engaging style that provides a connection to the ASU community.

Copy editor (paid) Apply
The copy editor is responsible for reading every story for grammar, content and AP style. This work includes fact-checking, verifying names, quotes and titles and contacting reporters, columnists and writers if there are any questions or discrepancies. The copy editors monitor the website for any errors. Copy editor is managed by the SPM Editor in Chief.

Graphic designer (paid) Apply

The graphic designer is responsible for designing creative and informational images and infographics to accompany stories on the SPM website. The graphic designer is also responsible for contributing designs for each print issue. This includes double-trucks, infographics, photo illustrations and overall page design.