ASU baseball dresses up for Halloween Scrimmage

Nacho loads up for a swing during the ASU baseball team’s Halloween Scrimmage on Wednesday night. (Photo by Kyle Newman)

Where can you find a Teletubby pitching to a Leprechaun, with a hot dog umpiring?

Only at ASU baseball’s annual Halloween Scrimmage, which was held Wednesday night at Packard Stadium.

The game gave the ASU baseball team a chance to dress up in the players’ favorite Halloween costumes, and the Sun Devils took full advantage.

Sophomore outfielder Jake Peevyhouse and sophomore infielder Rouric Bridgewater dressed up as Mario and Luigi.

The two were roommates last year and played summer ball together this year, so the decision to dress up in joint costumes was easy.

“We went to go get costumes together and decided to do something that would get both of us together,” Peevyhouse said.

Bridgewater knew that playing in his costume was going to be difficult, but the sophomore was ready to face the challenges with full force.

“You’ve got to do what you’ve got to do,” Bridgewater said. “If you tear the costume, you tear the costume. We will cross that bridge when we come to it.”

Although Peevyhouse and Bridgewater were in tandem for their costumes, their votes for best dressed were not the same.

“I liked (sophomore pitcher) Darin Gillies’s ‘Merica costume,” Bridgewater said. “It was pretty great.”

Peevyhouse disagreed.

“I liked (freshman shortstop) Jordan Aboites as Ozzie Smith,” Peevyhouse said.

Other notable costumes included Steve Bartman, Ironman, the Grinch and Morpheus.

As for the game itself, the “Pumpkins” beat the “Witches” 5-4 in six innings in walk-off fashion.

The Sun Devil baseball team began fall practice on Oct. 22, and is postseason eligible for the first time since 2011.

ASU missed the College World Series in 2012 because of recruiting violations during the Pat Murphy era.

The Sun Devils bring back only 19 players from a squad that finished 36-20 last season, good for a fourth-place tie in the Pac-12.

Junior Trevor Williams leads a pitching staff that lost Jake Barrett and Brady Rodgers to the MLB Draft.

As a sophomore last season, Williams earned first-team All-Pac-12 honors and posted a 2.05 ERA, good for third in the conference.

All-Pac-12 honorable mentions senior catcher Max Rossiter and junior infielder James McDonald are the leaders of the ASU offense this season.

Rossiter batted .326 last year in his first season with the Sun Devils, good enough for second on the team.

McDonald started 55 games in his sophomore campaign last year, finishing with the team’s third-best on-base percentage at .401.

The Sun Devils end fall practice Nov. 20 and the costume game was a good change of pace before the turn of the month.

“It’s a little hard to stay focused, but once you get over the fact that you’re wearing a costume, it’s the same game,” Peevyhouse said.

Reach the reporter at dsshapi1@asu.edu