Track & field sends small group to NAU

After a successful meet at Texas A&M, the ASU track and field team will travel north to Flagstaff for the second time in three weeks.

The Sun Devils planned to only compete with a few members of the team, but coach Greg Kraft had a last minute change of mind.

“Our sprinters and runners will use these as off events,” Kraft said. “(Redshirt senior throwers Jordan) Clarke and (Joe) Riccio will take the weekend off.”

Kraft however did say Clarke was feeling much better and back to 100 percent following his hand injury that kept him out of Texas A&M.

Kraft says the most of his athletes will use this weekend to prepare and relax for next weekend’s meet in Seattle for the Husky Invitational.

“The pole vaulters and jumpers will use this weekend to continue to bounce back and hopefully bounce up the polls,” Kraft said.

NAU didn’t serve as any competition comparable to what the Sun Devils brought the track on Jan. 12.

ASU’s competitors will use the weekend to fill out their portfolios and score big as they work towards nationals.

Kraft says the 60-meter competitions, along with a few others, will be the most important for both men and women.

“(Junior runner) Ryan Milus, (junior pole vaulter) Shaylah Simpson and (junior high jumper) Brian McBride are going to go and hopefully win big for us,” Kraft said.

Milus ranks No. 2 in the country in the 60-meter and McBride is No. 7 in the high jump.

Simpson intends to put herself in the top 25 by the end of the weekend.

“We want to look sharper by the end of the weekend,” Kraft said. “At A&M, the women did a good job and the men did average. So we want to crisp that up.”

Reach the reporter at msterrell@asu.edu