Student teacher arrested on suspicion of sexual conduct with a minor

A Tempe High School student teacher was arrested Tuesday at his home on suspicion of sexual conduct with a 16-year-old student, Tempe Police Sgt. Michael Pooley said at a press conference.

Joel Calderon was arrested on six counts of sexual conduct with a minor, a class 2 felony. Calderon, an ASU student majoring in secondary education, had been employed as a mathematics teacher at Tempe High School, where he met the student, since the beginning of the year.

According to a probable cause statement, school officials were informed of the inappropriate relationship by an unrelated student.

“Calderon admitted to having a relationship with the student during an interview,” Pooley said.

Police believe the sexual conduct occurred at Calderon’s home on multiple occasions beginning on Nov. 1, Pooley said.

Calderon also admitted to using social media to contact the student, Pooley said. Police only know of one victim as of this afternoon but know Calderon reached out to other students through social media.

During the Facebook chats, Calderon mentioned several times how it was inappropriate for him to contact students outside school, Pooley said. ASU confirmed that Calderon is a student at the University.

“The student that came forward has to be commended,” Pooley said. “Her cooperation was a big part of this.”

Police are asking for people to come forward if they have additional information regarding the case as it is still under investigation. Anyone with information can contact the Tempe Police Department at 480-350-8311.

Reach the reporter at jshanco2@asu.edu or on Twitter @`Joey_Hancock