USG reflects on productive year

USG Slider

USG Downtown President Frank Smith III looks over files in his office on the downtown campus. Undergraduate Student Governments had a busy semester implementing new bills and proposals and are continuing to grow and work on improving next semester. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

Undergraduate Student Governments had a busy semester implementing new bills and proposals and are continuing to grow and work on improving next semester.

A major initiative proposed this semester was a $150-per-year student fee to fund athletics, which passed in late October. USG members have moved on as they continue to provide more transparency and work on ways to improve for the students they represent.

USG Tempe Senate President Alexis Gonzalez said she thinks everything achieved this semester is because of teamwork between the senators.

“We are an organization of individuals, and we can’t do anything without each other,” she said.

The growth of the the young senates has improved quickly throughout the semester, said Senate President Pro Tempore Tristian Trevino.

“Every first semester is a growing period and a transition period,” he said. “From the beginning of the year until now, we have learned to get more done and as a senate grows it will only get better.”

Transparency is still a major issue for the USGs, Trevino said.

“Transparency is something we are still working on, but as a whole the senate is doing pretty well,” he said.

Gonzalez said an important point for her next semester is to make sure information from meetings is published quickly in order for people to easily access it and improve communication skills between the senators and the students they represent.

“We can improve our communication skills between the senators to make sure things are getting done,” she said. “We are trying to improve on publishing information from meetings in an easily accessible way for anyone who wants the information.”

USG Downtown President Frank Smith III said the USGs have done an exceptional job overall.

“Every year there is room for improvement,” he said. “We’re doing very well being we are the youngest senate on campus, so I’d say we are doing exceptionally well.”

Reach the reporter at jshanco2@asu.edu or on Twitter @Joey_Hancock