Tempe Police: Man drinks two pitchers of beer to celebrate friend’s birthday, drives with suspended license

Tempe Police reported the following incident Sunday:

• A 24-year-old Phoenix man was arrested Jan. 31 on the 17000 block of North 40th Street on suspicion of aggravated driving under the influence, driving with a suspended license, marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.Police contacted the man near the intersection of University Drive and Beck Avenue after seeing him driving a car unable to remain in one lane, the report said.

The car’s blinkers were continuously on, police said.

The man drove his vehicle into the bike lane while traffic was moderate to heavy, the report said.

He was less than two feet from colliding with the curve while there were multiple bicyclists and pedestrians around, police report.

When police pulled him over, the man’s eyes were watery and bloodshot, his face was pink and flushed and he emitted an overbearing odor, according to the report.

The report said the man’s speech was slurred.

The man told police he drank two pitchers of beer in celebration of his friend’s birthday, according to the report.

He was unable to pass various sobriety tests despite being given every identified clue, police said.

The report said the man also urinated in a cup within his vehicle prior to conducting the sobriety tests.

A search of the vehicle revealed a pipe containing marijuana in the center console, according to the report.

A criminal history of the man revealed a previous super-extreme DUI charge and a suspended license, the report said.

While en route to Tempe City Jail, the man spontaneously told police the marijuana was his and he knew he had a suspended driver’s license, the report said.

The man was booked into Tempe City Jail and held, according to the report.

Report compiled by Kennedy Scott

Reach the reporter at kjonessc@asu.edu or _Kennedy Scott