Top 10 stories of February

10. The end of Packard Stadium

packard_slider

(Photo from the University Archives Photographs, Arizona State University Libraries)

For 40 years, Packard Stadium has been the home to ASU baseball. In that time, the Sun Devils have won two national championships, 18 NCAA Regional Tournaments and more than 1,100 games.

More than 100 former Sun Devils have played in the major leagues, including baseball’s all-time home run leader, Barry Bonds. As recently as last season, Dustin Pedroia represented the Sun Devils in the World Series, and won it all.

9. ASU sophomore Nick Forbes Shannon runs for Tempe City Council

Nonprofit management sophomore Nick Forbes Shannon is running for the coming 2014 Tempe City Council election. (Photo by Axel Everitt) AXEL EVERITT | THE STATE PRESS

(Photo by Axel Everitt)

Nonprofit management sophomore Nick Forbes Shannon is used to people scoffing at his age and ambition. Shannon, by age 17, created a nonprofit organization exclusively run by teens and served on a council allotting thousands of dollars in grant money to local organizations.

Now Shannon is vying for one of three open seats in the coming 2014 Tempe City Council election.

8. USG Sen. Jordan Hibbs calls for accountability in student government meeting

USG Senator Jordan Hibbs spoke out at a meeting on Feb. 18. The meeting largely focused on a handful of clubs who were denied a budget for the upcoming year. MARIO MENDEZ | THE STATE PRESS

(Photo by Mario Mendez)

Following controversy over broken election laws, Tempe Undergraduate Student Government Sen. Jordan Hibbs called upon Senate President Alexis Gonzalez to form an Ad Hoc Oversight Committee.

Opposition arose over the committee after Senate President Pro Tempore Tristian Trevino called Hibbs’ integrity into question by saying Hibbs had missed a committee meeting earlier in the year then later lied about it and attended a fashion show. He went on to say that Hibbs was not the person to form the committee.

7. Tempe Undergraduate Student Government violates election codes, fails to pass two laws that would correct it

Senator Nicolas Parra proposed SE50 at the USG meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 11, which focused on violations of election codes and bilaws. (Photo by Ryan Liu)

(Photo by Ryan Liu)

Senate Bill 49 failed to pass and was proposed by Sen. Nicolas Parra. The bill was focused on making sure the election commissioner and assistant election commissioner were unbiased in all decisions that may arise over the course of the coming elections. Senate Bill 50, also proposed by Parra, failed to pass. The bill called for a suspension to the coming elections until a Supreme Court Justice was appointed by Davis.

“We want to make sure the elections happen fairly for all ASU students,” Parra said.

After lengthy arguments, the bill failed to pass after President Jordan Davis said nothing would come of the bill even if it was passed.

6. ASU men’s basketball gets historic upset over No. 2 UA 69-66 in double overtime

It’s not every season that ASU fans get to see their men’s basketball team beat UA at home.

The fans were so eager that after ASU redshirt sophomore point guard Jahii Carson dunked the ball with 0.7 seconds left, a sea of gold rushed onto the court. The game wasn’t over, so officials told the fans to leave the court to play out the remaining time. After UA junior guard Nick Johnson missed a half-court heave, the scoreboard read ASU 69, UA 66 with no time left, permitting the fans to continue their celebration at center court.

5. Juice and smoothie bar The Well opens on ASU Tempe campus

wellslider

(Photo by Ryan Liu)

ASU alumna Laura Pich recently opened her small juice bar and is offering fresh organic treats and protein-packed smoothies for students and faculty visiting the Sun Devil Fitness Complex in Tempe. The juice bar offers all organic cold pressed juices of fruits and vegetables in season by only ordering ingredients from local farms.

4. ASU Tempe campus experiences power outage following water damage

CITY LIGHTS: Cars travel down University Drive, one of the busiest streets in Tempe.  Bloomberg Businessweek named Tempe the third most "fun affordable" city. (Photo by Lisa Bartoli)

(Photo by Lisa Bartoli)

Classes up and down Palm Walk were canceled Feb. 4 when a power outage left most of the buildings in the dark.

Water seeping into electrical systems caused the power outage, ASU spokeswoman Julie Newberg said in an email.

A similar outage occurred in January following a water main break, but it affected a different electrical system, Newberg said. The University is working to prevent future outages through equipment inspections, evaluations and improvements, she said.

3. Alpha Chi Omega kicks it for good cause

Team members from ASU's Zeta Beta Tau fraternity working together during one of their games. ASU sorority Alpha Chi Omega hosted a kickball tournament to raise money for the Autumn House. (Photo by Amanda Jensen)

(Photo by Amanda Jensen)

In Arizona, one rape occurs every four hours and 35 minutes.

To help fight this and other domestic violence issues, ASU’s Alpha Chi Omega chapter united with domestic violence organization A New Leaf to raise money and awareness for the cause with a kickball tournament Saturday.

2. ASU Pitchforks records first extended play in a decade

ASU Pitchforks a cappella has recorded its first extended play in more than 10 years.

With the help of the community and performance after performance, the all-female group was able to raise a little more than $5,000 to start recording and get the Pitchforks back in the recording world.

1. Future ASU applications to offer gender-inclusive housing option

Co-chair Lauren Zack, senior psychology and English double majors, co-founded the Gender Inclusive Housing Action Committee at ASU with Christian Sandoval (not pictured). Zack poses with political science freshman Brandon Marks, a supportive member of the GIHAC, in front of Manzanita Hall on ASU's Tempe campus. (Photo by Rachel Nemeh)

(Photo by Rachel Nemeh)

ASU’s student-run Gender Inclusive Housing Action Committee has achieved a gender-inclusive housing option for the fall 2014 application and beyond. The organization drafted and submitted a proposal for the option, presenting it to University Housing in December.

GIHAC, founded in early fall by seniors Lauren Zack and Christian Sandoval, was initiated to address some of the complexities students had encountered with the gender-inclusive housing inquiry process. Although gender-inclusive housing has been available since 2011, students were expected to contact University Housing via email, wait for a follow-up and possibly participate in an interview if they expressed an interest.