Defense key as softball hosts weekend tournament

FOLLOW THROUGH: Junior catcher Lacy Goodman takes a practice swing during a game at Farrington Stadium. ASU will be hosting the Wilson/DeMarini Invitational this weekend in Tempe. (Photo by Michael Arellano)

With a chance of rain in the forecast, the ASU softball team could be facing another wet weekend as it plays six games in the Wilson/DeMarini Invitational.

While beating the rain will be a task in itself, the No. 9 Sun Devils (10-2) are looking to make a few key improvements after three weeks of play.

Chief among them is defense.

ASU’s two losses have come in games when the team committed two or more errors, including a crucial seventh inning error that allowed Illinois State to tie and eventually win a close game.

“When you give good teams extra opportunities, you don’t win many of those games,” ASU coach Clint Myers said. “When you only have to get 21 outs, it’s a lot easier to win.”

ASU has committed a team total of 14 errors for a fielding percentage of .960. Myers feels that the reason for errors right now boils down to confidence and consistency, but said he is certain the defense will improve.

“This team is going to be a better defensive team than what we had last year,” Myers said. “Right now, the numbers have not agreed with that.”

ASU’s need for defensive improvement is not lost on the players, as some see it as the most pressing improvement required.

“We’re working really hard right now on … making the plays that we need to make — the easy ones that get us outs,” sophomore right fielder Annie Lockwood said.

Myers said ASU’s exceptional offensive ability can sometimes neutralize defensive lapses.

“If you’re a good offensive team, that gives you more latitudes on the defensive side,” Myers said.

While getting on base has been emphasized this season, power has become a part of ASU’s personality. In games when the team hits two or more home runs, its record is 7-0. When hitting just one, its record is 2-2.

ASU is currently outscoring opponents 119-35. Part of that comes from 23 team home runs, and part of it lopsided games, like a 19-0 win over Rutgers. Regardless, ASU averages nearly 10 runs per game.

“I wouldn’t say we rely on home runs,” Lockwood said. “It may look like that, but we do a lot of other great things.”

Lockwood, who is hitting .444 with 12 RBI and four home runs, said she and the rest of the team are primarily concerned with getting on base and moving runners.

Lockwood and sophomore shortstop Katelyn Boyd, who is hitting .528 with 19 RBI and seven home runs, have led the powerful offense so far.

The offense should get a boost from junior third baseman Krista Donnenwirth’s return from suspension. Donnenwirth hit .322 with 47 RBI and nine home runs in 2009.

The ASU offense may be tested this weekend against tough pitching. Northern Iowa (8-2) senior Jen Larsen, also a capable hitter at .556 with seven RBI, is sporting a 4-0 record with a 1.06 ERA. Without one skewed 52.50 ERA, UNI boasts a 1.66 team ERA.

ASU could also see Creighton (5-4) senior ace Tara Oltman, who’s 4-2 on the year with a 1.56 ERA and nearly eight strikeouts per seven innings. Oltman does not get much run support, however, as the Bluejays have totaled just 33 runs this season.

ASU opens the weekend in a non-tournament game Thursday against UC Santa Barbara at 7 p.m.

Tournament play starts Friday against Idaho State at 5:30 p.m. and UNI at 7:30 p.m.

Saturday brings match ups with Samford at 3:30 p.m. and UCSB at 5:30 p.m. before ASU wraps the weekend against CU at 1 p.m. Sunday.

Reach the reporter at tlockman@asu.edu

×