Group of track athletes get ‘last chance’ at Iowa State

A small contingent of ASU track and field athletes has one last chance.

On the fringe of being selected to run at the NCAA Indoor Championships next weekend, the group will head to the Iowa State Last Chance Meet in Ames, Iowa, this weekend for a chance to improve its marks.

ASU coach Greg Kraft said 12 athletes will compete this weekend, most of whom have already provisionally qualified for nationals next week. But the athletes need to improve or run an equal time this weekend to solidify their spot.

Both the men’s and women’s 4x400 relay teams will be competing, as well as sophomore Mason McHenry in the 800-meter race.

In the sprints, the Sun Devils will send senior Lawrence Trice and freshman Ryan Milus for the 60-meter dash, in addition to seniors Joel Phillip and Justin Kremer in the 400-meter dash.

ASU freshman thrower Jordan Clarke will also compete for the Sun Devils this weekend.

ASU senior sprinter Jasmine Chaney, who is a part of the women’s 4x400 relay team, will also compete in the 60-meter hurdles. Chaney provisionally qualified last weekend, but she is hoping to improve her time and secure her place at nationals.

The top 16 athletes per event are usually selected to run at nationals, Kraft said, with a couple more selected due to marks or times that are the same.

Kraft said he is confident his athletes can rise up and earn their spot, especially Phillip, who is on the bubble even after provisionally qualified last week with a time of 47.17 seconds. Kraft said he probably needs to run a second faster to ensure his place for nationals.

Kraft said the pressure of the last chance meet won’t faze his athletes.

“If you’re as good as you think you are, you should be able to go out there and get it done anyway,” he said.

Even though both 4x400 relay teams have qualified, Kraft noted that some interesting things can happen as the end of the season nears.

However, the Sun Devils know that they can only control their own performances.

“When they come back, hopefully they are in the [NCAA meet],”Kraft said. Reach the reporter at eric.l.smith@asu.edu

×