Fiverr's Online Market

The front page of Fiverr.com.
The front page of Fiverr.com.

These days it’s often difficult to find a postcard from Turin, Italy, a genuine rock from a garden in Ireland, or even someone willing to burn a paper effigy of your enemy, especially all in one place. However, all of these things and more can be had at Fiverr.com, for the price of $5 each.

Fiverr is an online market where registered sellers can post ads for specific tasks, called “gigs,” that they are willing to do. Likewise, buyers can post wanted ads for tasks or items they are in need of. The only catch is the price, which is fixed at $5 for every gig on the site. Sellers are rated based on promptness of service and overall quality of the completed gigs, similar to eBay and other online shopping auction style sites. Sellers have 24 hours to respond to orders – otherwise the buyer is automatically refunded his or her $5.

Interested in selling on Fiverr.com? All you need to get started is a PayPal account and the willingness to complete any type of task. After your gig is purchased and the final product is sent, you will receive $4 in profit. Fiverr.com takes a $1 cut as commission. Because all messages sent between buyers and sellers is through the Fiverr Web site, your true identity is never displayed. This keeps your safe from potentially angry customers, who may or may not have thought your completed “gig” was worth their $5!

So how reliable is Fiverr.com? Are any of the gigs actually worth $5? In the interest of providing a thorough review, we decided to throw down a Lincoln and see what we got. After browsing through several pages, we picked a gig offering to turn any photo into a cartoon style caricature. By the end of the end of the next day, the photo was finished and delivered through e-mail. Was the final product representative of the photo? You decided for yourself.

×