Other than Ramen: Smashing Deals at Smashburger

The All American SmashBurger and SmashFries. Photo by Gabriela Rodiles.

Tom Ryan, the genius behind the McGriddle breakfast sandwich at McDonald’s and stuffed crust pizza at Pizza Hut has once again created a masterpiece–SmashBurger. The restaurant franchise, named after their signature technique of smashing hamburger meat on the griddle, has won my praise for several reasons.

1. Its diverse menu. Options range from famous burgers, chicken sandwiches, salads, hot dogs, fries and shakes, making it plausible to satisfy hunger here even if you aren’t craving red meat.

2. It has gourmet taste at an impressive price. A burger from a semi-casual restaurant usually costs at least $9.00. In my opinion, a SmashBurger tastes just as good and is a steal–depending on whether it’s a half pound or 1/3 pound of meat, your entrée could be $4.99 to $6.99!

3. SmashBurger has a coupon in ASU’s Student Insider resource guide! Page 133 offers you a FREE “SmashSide” with the purchase of an entrée at the College Avenue and University Drive location in Tempe. I couldn’t wait to try the SmashFries after hearing heard rave reviews about them and boy, were they tasty! Flavored with rosemary, olive oil and garlic, these fries were definitely a step above typical fast food fries. Other options that qualify for the coupon include veggie frites, haystack onions or beefy chili.

When I dined at SmashBurger I had the All-American burger. Tangy mustard, pickles and onions were balanced perfectly by the soft egg bun and gooey cheese. I am planning on going back (as soon as possible!) to try the Sweet Potato SmashFries with my Student Insider coupon and whichever burger you recommend. Any suggestions? If you are in the mood for smaller proportions and a smaller bill, order the kids meal which is complete with either a kid’s SmashBurger, chicken strips, grilled cheese or kid’s SmashDog, and is served with fries and a soft drink. It’s the perfect way to satisfy a smaller stomach while getting a combo meal! Don’t forget to check out www.studentinsider.com to get a coupon for the Tempe SmashBurger and use it every time you’re craving an all-American meal.

×