Non-Required Reading: How Ryan Reynolds Has Killed the Deadpool Movie

A stark difference from Reynolds as Green Lantern. Photo courtesy of comicvine.com

Hey! Remember how that last picture was Ryan Reynolds?  Well, this one is too!  To see what I’m talking about, just check out the last post.

For those of you who don’t remember, that is Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool in the movie “Wolverine: Origins” from a few summers ago.

For those of you who also don’t remember, that movie was terrible.  Aside from that guy from "Lost: as the Blob (which was hilarious) and Reynolds for the first half of the movie was pretty slick.

See, Deadpool is a character that is a self-aware smart ass. In other words, he’s RYAN REYNOLDS. If you sew his mouth shut and give him laser vision, that’s not going to work.

But still, audiences loved the movie, and a Deadpool was greenlit accordingly to make sure they cashed in as quickly as possible.

Then came Green Lantern.

See yourself in Reynolds' shoes. You just got to be in a huge summer blockbuster and they want you as the lead in a spin-off.  Another company comes along, and offers you a career-making epic summer movie and the chance to singlehandedly build a franchise.

Needless to say, Reynolds has effectively killed the Deadpool movie. Which isn’t the worst thing I’ve ever heard. It gives them time to actually make a quality movie and build a new franchise.

So thank you Ryan Reynolds for getting out of Dodge while ya still could. I think in the long-term that’s best for the two movies, and I really can’t wait to see what Green Lantern has to offer.

Even if I hate Blake Lively, but that’s a different post entirely.

Dan

×