Running back Deantre Lewis shot by stray bullet

While home for the weekend in Norco, Calif., ASU freshman running back Deantre Lewis was hit with a stray bullet in a random shooting.

According to an ASU media relations spokesman, Lewis was at a relative’s residence in Riverside on Saturday to celebrate the birth of his sister’s baby.

While spending time with his family, a bullet from elsewhere in the neighborhood struck Lewis without warning.

He was taken to a local hospital, where doctors removed the bullet. No muscle damage was reported and Lewis is expected to be released from the hospital by Monday. He could be back in Tempe later this week.

"I have spoken to the family," ASU coach Dennis Erickson said in a statement, "and they know they have the full support of all Sun Devils everywhere. We are looking forward to a full recovery."

As a true freshman, Lewis was ASU’s second leading rusher, totaling 539 yards and four touchdowns. He also caught 23 passes for 370 yards and two touchdowns.

In his first ever collegiate game against Portland State, Lewis scored three times, including a 62-yard and 28-yard touchdown receptions.

Reach the reporter at tyler.emerick@asu.edu

×