Student robbed at gunpoint on Tempe campus

ASU Police describe the suspect as a male in his early 20s. He was last seen wearing a black sweatshirt and black jeans.

UPDATE: Police have released a photo of the suspect taken from a surveillance camera at a Circle K near Rural Road and Lemon Street. Anyone with information can contact the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.

ASU and Tempe Police were searching for an armed robbery suspect Thursday night after a student was robbed at gunpoint in a Tempe campus parking garage around 11 p.m.

A male student in the Rural Road parking structure was approached by a man with a handgun who demanded his wallet and cell phone, said ASU Police spokesman Cmdr. Jim Hardina.

The robber fled and two witnesses in the structure called 911. The victim was uninjured, he said.

A description of the suspect was sent to the Tempe Police Department and other Valley agencies, Hardina said. The suspect was a man in his early 20s wearing a black sweatshirt and black jeans.

Around 12:15 a.m. Hardina said officers had stopped several people matching the suspect’s description, but no arrests had been made. Officers were focused on searching the Tempe campus and clearing all residence halls, he said.

Hardina said police plan to review cameras in the parking garage for any information.

No further details were available; stay with statepress.com for updates.

Reach the reporter at kjdaly@asu.edu

×