Tuition increases and guns on campus were just a few of the concerns addressed as participants flooded the microphones at a student forum with President Michael Crow held Thursday afternoon at the Polytechnic campus.

The remaining three campuses were able to participate via webcam, and a student fee forum followed the discussion with Crow.

Crow addressed the student government senates of each campus with an hour of dialogue concerning various topics, such as athletics, future adjustments to the University and tuition.

“We have hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of ways in which students compete,” Crow said.

Athletics brings in an estimated revenue of $45 million, while the cost to run the athletics department is a little more than $45 million, he said.

Tuition is projected to increase by roughly 18 percent, Crow said.

“You’ll have to be working until you’re 90 because my generation left you in such a fine financial state,” Crow said jokingly.

All kidding aside, ASU plans to have a “moderate tuition and high financial aid” balance, Crow said. According to the fiscal year 2012 tuition proposal, tuition for nonresident undergraduates will increase by $1,550.

Not only will tuition costs increase, but program fees are presumed to skyrocket as well. Program fees are currently $25 per semester and are proposed to increase to $100 per semester.

“Most people look at the money part first, but increase in program fees means more events,” said Associated Students of Arizona State University Downtown member Jose Rios during the student fee forum.

Senate members from the campuses will vote to deny, pass or table the increase of program fees, said Rios, a communication major.

ASASUD President Christian Vasquez was the spokesman for the Downtown campus at Thursday’s fee forum.

“We have received letters from the Programming and Activities Board and intramural teams who are in favor of increased programming fees,” Vasquez said.

During the student forum, Crow also addressed Senate Bill 1467, which would allow concealed weapons on campus.

“We don’t think educational institutions are a place for that kind of behavior,” Crow said.

One student voiced her concern about the possible opportunities, if any, that are available to students not geared toward high-impact careers.

“As a student you have one objective and your major is not that objective … but to be a broadly scoped, high-speed learner,” Crow responded.

In regard to a successful college experience, Crow said, “The key is having your radar set up to what you want to do ... the things that make you happy.”

Reach the reporter at cstarboa@asu.edu

×