Climbmax Climbing Gym reopens its doors

OPEN FOR BUSINESS: After suddenly closing its doors with little explanation Climbmax Climbing Gym has reopened to the public last Friday. The gym was forced to close due to leasing problems which have been resolved. (Photo by Lillian Reid)

Climbmax Climbing Gym in Tempe reopened Friday after closing for two days following lease negotiation complications.

“Basically lease negotiations weren’t happening at all,” owner Mike Fitzgerald said. “We were advised we had to get out Wednesday.”

Fitzgerald said Climbmax started dismantling the equipment Wednesday.

“We just started taking everything out that was loose so to speak,” Fitzgerald said. “This was something rather dramatic, but it was not a tactic. But it seemed to work out in our favor.”

Bioarcheology graduate student Kelly Harkins was “shocked” by the sudden closing but cautiously hopeful.

“(The reopening) is almost as shocking as the closing. It was all so sudden,” Harkins said.

Harkins did not want to speculate about Climbmax’s future.

“I’m almost scared to be happy about it because it was taken away so suddenly,” he said. “I don’t know the whole story, the public doesn’t know everything that has happened but everything is so tenuous.”

Harkins has since climbed at other Tempe-area gyms despite the reopening.

“I had a pass at (Phoenix Rock Gym) so I started going there instead,” Harkins said. “But I’m really happy it’s open. I can’t wait to go back.”

Fitzgerald said Climbmax hopes to avoid further closing and problems.

“(The closing) was extremely nerve racking and depressing. It seemed very final,” Fitzgerald said. “Fortunately, it worked out for us. We’re extremely grateful for that.”

Fitzgerald said written agreements are in place to continue lease negotiations until an agreement can be met.

Climbmax will employ the same membership packages, rates and hours, Fitzgerald said.

“I will be going to Climbmax for at least the next month,” Harkins said. “If it was lease problems, it should be open at least through the end of the month.”

As of press time no lease had been signed.

Reach the reporter at crcruz1@asu.edu

×