Largest sorority recruitment class swarms Tempe for Bid Day

[imagebrowser id=33]

Hundreds of voices filled Old Main’s historic steps with chants and screams as each selected recruit ran into the celebrating group of women of their unveiled sororities’ name.

Tuesday’s Bid Day for ASU sororities saw the largest recruitment class ever: 896 women registered to be recruited.

Recruitment numbers increased due to ASU’s growing student body as well as the development of Greek Life, said Jennifer Stults Krasnow, assistant director of the Student Organization Resource Center and Fraternity & Sorority Life.

“The large numbers are hopeful, showing that girls don’t want to give into the stereotypes and are optimistic to try and rush,” philosophy sophomore and recruit Katherine Henry said.

The recruitment week consisted of more than 31 hours of meet and greets spanning more than four days of recruitment, according to the ASU Greek Life website.

“It was insane and intense, but very well worth it,” Henry said.

Many of the men from ASU fraternities came to Bid Day in order to support the women on the last day of recruitment.

“(I) just want to show some love for the girls and support them because I am going to be rushing also,” said Dennis Driftmeyer, business communication sophomore and Greek Life recruit for the Sigma Nu fraternity.

Psychology sophomore Juliann Lieb, a Kappa Alpha Theta sorority member, spent this past week recruiting for the first time after rushing last year.

“It’s more stressful when you’re actually rushing, but it’s so hard too,” Lieb said. “You really don’t know what name is going to pop up on that (bid) card.”

Several women sat on the back stairs of Old Main in tears after finding out that they were matched with a sorority that they did not prefer.

The women who were not matched with a sorority on Bid Day were individually called by a recruitment councilor to inform them the night prior in order to prevent any embarrassment, Lieb said.

Reach the reporter at ctetreau@asu.edu

×