Piece of Craft: Canning the Chaos of Your Desk

Can that chaos with cans and ribbons. Photo by Faith Breisblatt.

With the first exams and projects beginning to creep up on us, chaos is starting to consume our lives. And what fills our lives typically manifests itself in other forms, such as the cleanliness of our rooms (or lack thereof) or perhaps our desks. I’m currently staring at my desk right now and it has pens, pencils, and paintbrushes strewn in every which way, stacks of paper crammed under my lap top (which makes typing very hard actually), and trash all over the place. It’s kind of a mess, and let’s be honest, if my desk is a mess, there’s no way anything else is getting done.

Organizing can be hard and annoying, but luckily, you can make a craft out of anything. My most recent annoyance in my room was how unorganized my pens, pencils, etc. were and how I could never find anything.  However, there is an easy way to remedy this, and it starts with eating canned food.

Buy some canned peaches, veggies, beans, whatever you want, eat the contents, and then clean out the can. My suggestion is to get multiple cans if you have a lot of utensils that need storing.  Next grab a hot glue gun (if you have it, although I do strongly advise you to use a glue gun for this because I think using other glue would be kind of difficult), and various ribbons that you like.  I bought a bunch of cheap rolls of ribbon at Michaels, but you can use virtually anything you want.  Next, cut your ribbon into smaller and easier-to-handle strips. What you’re going to do is glue your ribbon around the can ...it’s that simple.  And you continue to do this until you feel that you’re done.  For me, I loaded my cans up with ribbon only on the ribbed part of the can and left the smooth area free, but it’s up to you.

Now you’re ready for organizing! Thankfully at least some of that clutter is gone from your desk and now you can go back to studying!

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions for future crafts feel free to e-mail me at fbreisbl@asu.edu.

×