Police beat: Sept. 9

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

• A 30-year-old Nevada woman was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of possession of dangerous drugs after she was found with methamphetamine on 52nd Street and University Drive, according to a police report. The woman was a passenger of a vehicle stopped for a non-working license plate light, according to the report. As the officer waited for a K-9 narcotics unit to respond, the officer requested the driver and woman to step out of the car, according to the report. When she had exited the car a clear plastic zip-close bag dropped from her lap onto the pavement of the parking lot, according to the report. The bag contained a crystalline substance later identified as methamphetamine, according to the report. After the woman was read her Miranda rights and arrested, she admitted that the zip-close bag contained methamphetamine and that she had recently purchased it, according to the report. She told police she was planning on using it with the driver later that night, police reported.
  • A 24-year-old Tempe man was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of possession of marijuana on the intersection of Smith Road and Tenth Street, according to a police report. The man was stopped for failing to maintain a single lane as he drove eastbound on University Drive approaching Smith Road, according to the report. When pulled over by police, the odor of marijuana was detected from the interior of the vehicle, police reported. The man first denied possession of marijuana, but once he stepped out of the vehicle, he admitted there was marijuana in the center console of the vehicle, according to the report. The marijuana was found as the man described it, according to the report. He was booked into Tempe City Jail and released as the charges are now pending, according to the report.
  • A 25-year-old Phoenix woman was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of aggravated driving under the influence, according to a police report. Police received a report of a child locked inside a car at a Fry’s Food Store on Southern Avenue and Rural Road, according to the report. The caller told police that the woman returned to the vehicle, entered it and drove to a gas station south of the store, according to the report. Two officers contacted the woman at the scene and she was identified by her Arizona ID and a description given by the caller, according to the report. During initial contact she admitted to driving the vehicle to the gas station, police reported. A 6-year-old boy and a 2-year-old girl were found in the car, according to the report. The officer noticed the woman’s pupils appeared to be dilated and she seemed nervous, according to the report. She had bad breath and denied using any illicit drugs, but submitted to the field sobriety tests, police reported. She also had a distorted internal clock, visible eye tremors, a pulse of 120 beats per minute, raised taste buds and her tongue was brown, according to police. She was arrested and taken to Tempe City Jail where DUI tests continued, according to the report.
These reports were compiled by Sade Hurst. Reach the reporter at shurst2@asu.edu

×