Marshall bounces back, leads football in win

MUCH BETTER: Junior running back Cameron Marshall crosses the goal line for a touchdown during the first quarter of the Sun Devils’ 48-14 win over the Buffaloes on Saturday. Marshall rushed for 114 yards and three touchdowns after using the team’s bye week to rest an ankle injury. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Check out photos from Saturday's game against the CU Buffaloes in this slideshow.

OR

Didn't catch the Homecoming parade? See photos from the parade and the game in this slideshow.

The first seven games took their toll on Cameron Marshall.

The junior running back headed into last week’s bye with several bumps and bruises including a troublesome ankle injury. But the off week came at the perfect time and Marshall used it to recuperate.

Evidently, a little break is exactly what he needed.

Marshall bolted for 114 yards on 15 carries and three touchdowns in the ASU football team’s 48-14 thumping of Colorado on Saturday.

“You saw Cameron Marshall finally,” coach Dennis Erickson said. “He’s been hurt off and on all year. Him healthy is a little different ballgame. He brings another factor to our offense, and I thought he ran really, really well.”

It was the fourth 100-yard performance of his career, and the third three-score game of his career. He also pushed his season yards total to 632 while Marshall now leads the Sun Devils with 12 touchdowns on the season.

Saturday also marked Marshall’s second 100-yard, three touchdown game this season. He accomplished the feat on Sept. 24 against Southern California when he notched 141 yards and three touchdowns.

The first quarter saw the ASU offense jump out to a hot start. Marshall did his part by completing a 27-yard run to the CU 25. The Sun Devils then notched their first touchdown of the game on the ensuing play.

One possession later, he ran untouched for a 19-yard touchdown at the 8:53 mark to extend ASU’s lead to 14-0.

"I saw the hole I guess, just space,” Marshall said. “I was running, waiting for someone else to come and no one else came and I was just able to get to the end zone. Just space the O-line did a great job; one of the easiest touchdowns of my life.”

In the second quarter, Marshall tacked on a 23-yard run to the 50-yard line that set up a field goal from ASU freshman kicker Alex Garoutte.

With nearly a minute left in the half, Marshall struck again, this time on an 11-yarder into the end zone.

His third and final score came in the third quarter. ASU’s offensive drive started with 1:00 left in the quarter after CU fumbled the previous punt.

Following his nine-yard run to the CU four-yard line, Marshall powered his way into the end zone to complete the three-play, 13-yard scoring drive.

It was a dominating performance for Marshall who helped ASU tally 522 yards of total offense. He’s now collected 23 career touchdowns, and is tied for sixth on the ASU career rushing touchdowns list with Nolan Jones.

“Cam’s a monster,” senior wide receiver Gerell Robinson said. “I’ve never seen somebody that big hurdle somebody as many times as he’s done it and run people over like he does. He brings a different dimension to our running backs.”

A healthy Marshall is a dangerous one, as he returned to the explosive form that’s made him one of ASU’s most powerful offensive threats.

“Bye week helped a lot,” Marshall said. “I am feeling great right now, probably the best I’ve felt all season. So bye week came just in time.”

Reach the reporter at greg.dillard@asu.edu Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press newsletter.

×