The EDGE: Sun Devils should cruise

HOLDING THE CARDS: ASU junior linebacker Vontaze Burfict points to the Sun Devil sideline after a sack against Mizzou earlier in the season. ASU appears to hold a solid advantage over visiting Colorado. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Quarterback

EDGE: ASU

Junior quarterback Brock Osweiler brought swagger and confidence into his first full season under center for the ASU football team.  That leadership has delivered five wins, including statement victories over Missouri and Southern California.

Through the Sun Devils’ first seven games, Osweiler has completed 171 of 259 passes for 1968 yards. He’s also tossed 15 touchdowns and averages 281.1 yards per game.

Osweiler has been intercepted eight times but sports a 142.8 efficiency rating through seven games.

His poise and ability to lead not only the offense, but also the entire Sun Devil team has proven to be invaluable.

Colorado lost senior quarterback Tyler Hansen midway through last week’s debacle against powerful Oregon. Hansen had thrown for 62 yards on seven completions versus the Ducks.

Hansen has collected 1,744 passing yards this season to go with 13 touchdowns.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Nick Hirschman took over under center and completed eight of pass attempts for 71 yards. However, it’s likely that Hansen is back in the starting lineup come Saturday.

Running back

EDGE: ASU

Junior running back Cameron Marshall bolted for 101 yards and a touchdown on 20 carries two weeks ago.

The highly skilled Marshall remains as ASU’s leading rusher with 518 yards and nine touchdowns on the season. He averages over four yards per carry and 74 yards per game.

Junior wide receiver Jamal Miles has shown that he can do it all on the football field. That includes serving as a threat on the ground as noted by his 169 yards and average of 8.4 yards per carry.

The CU rushing attack is led by senior tailback Rodney Stewart and his 473 yards. He came into the season fifth on the program’s all-time rushing list with 2,744 career yards.

The Buff’s running game has been decent at best in 2011 with the team averaging 90.9 yards per game, which places them last in the Pac-12.

Wide Receivers/ Tight ends

EDGE: ASU

After a forgettable start to his final campaign in Tempe, senior wide receiver Gerell Robinson has strung together several notable performances in recent weeks.

The Chandler Hamilton product was highly touted for his talents prior to joining ASU, thus Osweiler and the Sun Devils have taken full advantage of Robinson’s abilities as of late.

He hauled in six catches for 120 yards and a touchdown in Eugene. One week earlier, Robinson collected seven catches for 101 yards against Utah. He now owns a team leading 523 receiving yards on the year with four touchdowns.

Miles and senior wide receiver Aaron Pflugrad have also caught four touchdown passes. Pflugrad has come into his own this season with 389 yards on 28 catches.

Senior wide receiver Mike Willie posted a solid game against the Utes with his 98 receiving yards, seven catches, and two scores.

The Buffs’ receiving core was all but completely shut down by the UO defense last Saturday. Colorado earned just 133 yards in the air, and the longest completion of the game came on a 28-yard pass.

In comparison, ASU’s Robinson earned just 13 yards less by himself versus the UO defense than the entire Buffs team did combined.

Offensive Line

EDGE: ASU

A crucial, yet sometimes overlooked, key to a high-powered collegiate offense is a capable offensive line. ASU certainly possess one with its experienced offensive front led by senior center Garth Gerhart.

The unit has suffered its fair share of injuries over the span of the season. UO did manage to sack Osweiler on four occasions.

Sophomore tackle Evan Finkenberg’s status remains in question heading into Saturday’s game.

CU’s offense ranks dead last in the conference in scoring offense and some of those struggles could be attributed to the offensive line. Hansen has been sacked a whopping 21 times this season.

Defensive Line

EDGE: ASU

Senior defensive lineman Jamaar Jarrett is tied for 14th in the Pac-12 in tackles for loss with seven. He’s now produced 20 tackles for loss in his career along with 7.5 career sacks. Jarrett has also forced a pair of fumbles on the season.

Senior defensive lineman Bo Moos has recorded two fumble recoveries in 2011, which ties him for second in the conference.

Jarrett and the rest of the defensive line will be tasked with pressuring Hansen and stopping Stewart on Saturday.

Junior defensive tackle Will Pericak and senior defensive tackle Conrad Obi anchor the Buffaloes’ defensive line. Pericak tallied 30 solo tackles and two sacks a season ago.

Linebackers

EDGE: ASU

ASU coach Dennis Erickson has heaped praise on senior linebacker Colin Parker all season long and deservedly so. Parker, who is one of the team’s three captains, serves as an integral leader on defense.

Parker recovered his first career fumble in the UO game and leads ASU with 45 tackles.

Neither junior linebacker Vontaze Burfict nor senior linebacker Shelly Lyons can be overlooked, as both are capable of making game changing plays.

After a rather slow start, Erickson is confident that Burfict will continue to play well during the season’s final five games. Burfict currently sits fourth in the Pac-12 with four solo sacks.

For Colorado, junior linebacker Jon Major has enjoyed a fine season after making the transition from the inside to the outside this offseason. He’s grabbed a pair of sacks in eight games.

Secondary

EDGE: ASU

The Sun Devils’ secondary appeared to be severely battered and bruised throughout the early weeks of the season. Injuries claimed senior cornerback Omar Bolden and redshirt freshman cornerback Devan Spann.

The position’s depth was challenged, yet several players have emerged into contributors.

Sophomore safety Alden Darby has reeled in three interceptions, two of which came against Oregon State. Senior safety Eddie Elder has put in extra post practice work in hopes of making more interceptions. He’s notched 106 career tackles including 5 1/2 for loss.

Despite the injuries, ASU’s secondary has played well overall.

The Buffaloes are near the bottom of the conference in regards to pass defense efficiency and interceptions, ranking dead last in both categories.

CU has made just three interceptions for 52 yards on the year, and is next to last in the Pac-12 in pass defense efficiency by having allowed 1925 yards and 20 touchdowns.

Special Teams

EDGE: ASU

Special teams can often dictate the outcome of a game, and that’s when an explosive return man such as Miles becomes even more valuable for the Sun Devils.

Miles completed a 78-yard punt return for a touchdown earlier this season. He also returned a kickoff to the end zone in the season opener.

Redshirt freshman kicker Alex Garoutte made both of his field goal attempts at UO. He nailed a 37-yarder in the second quarter before splitting the uprights on a 30-yard kick in the fourth. Garoutte is now 7 for 10 on field goals this season and 28 of 29 on PAT’s.

CU averages just 17.5 yards per kickoff return compared to ASU’s 23.3 yards per return average.

For Colorado, freshman kicker Will Oliver is 9 of 12 in field goals this season including his longest of 52 yards.

Overall

EDGE: ASU

ASU suffered just its second loss of the season, a mistake-ridden 41-27 defeat, in Eugene two weeks ago. After a much needed bye week, the Sun Devils appear heavily favored in Saturday’s bout against Pac-12 newcomer CU. The Buffs are mired in a miserable season and a five game-losing streak. Their inexperienced and injury-riddled team has been routinely dominated throughout conference play. ASU’s high-powered, multi-threat offense and experienced defense should lead the Sun Devils to a win in this week’s Homecoming matchup.

Reach the reporter at greg.dillard@asu.edu

×