Volleyball hungry for upsets against Wash. schools

STAYING STRONG: Redshirt freshman hitter Kylee Terhune (9) and senior middle blocker Sonja Markanovich (2) extend to block Stanford junior outside hitter Hayley Spelman (21) during the Cardinal’s 3-1 win over the Sun Devils. The Sun Devils hope to even up their series against Washington and Washington State over the weekend. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

The goal is to return the favor.

The last time that the ASU volleyball team (5-16, 1-11 in Pac-12) faced the Washington State Cougars (11-11, 3-9), ASU jumped out to an early 2-0 lead before WSU battled back and won three straight sets to take the match in Tempe.

ASU hopes to settle the score in Pullman, Wash. this weekend, and this time the Sun Devils are looking to finish off the match early.

Coach Jason Watson said his team knows what is expected of them.

“Hopefully at some point and time they remember we were doing some nice things against (WSU) and put ourselves in a position to win,” Watson said. “Now we got to go do the same thing on the road.”

The last time the Cougars played the Sun Devils, WSU’s senior outside hitter Meagan Ganzer attacked the Sun Devils with 30 kills in their match.

An ASU player has to defend well, like redshirt freshman outside hitter Kylee Terhune did last weekend against Cal’s All-American senior outside hitter Tarah Murrey. Murrey was held to only nine kills during the match.

ASU also takes on the 10th-ranked Washington (16-4, 8-4) this weekend. The Huskies are one of the taller, more physical teams in the conference. Most of their hitters are over six feet tall.

Players and coaches have been working all week in practice to defend UW’s big front line.

Junior middle blocker Erica Wilson said a key to good defense is studying the opponent’s offense.

“(We are) continuing to work on our block and timing,” Wilson said. “Certain players you have to wait on, some players you have to go early on,”

ASU has been improving on its team defense. But sophomore middle blocker Alexis Pinson said that the unique aspect of defense is that a strong block is a totally individual skill.

“Blocking is a very personal technique. You can work on it every single play,” Pinson said. “If it’s a set then you can’t get a really good hit off of it but you can always work on improving your block.”

Watson said that he expects the team to battle Washington defensively. But he also said that the best defense is a good offense, and he wants his team to wait for the right moment to attack the Huskies’ defense.

“We have to be patient and we have to go pick a good shot,” Watson said. “It may cross the net a couple times before we get what it is that we want but we have got to be able to play patient enough to allow that to happen so that when we do get our chance we are ready.”

Watson said he is looking for the team to stay together and finish off their opponents this weekend.

“We have had opportunities against both teams and it would be nice if we could close some things out,” Watson said.

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu

×