Challah for Hunger bakes to support local organizations

Health science freshman Sonia Kunthara and biomedical engineering freshman Allaina Honda lay the challah dough on the tray before putting it through the oven to sell for $4 a loaf at the ASU farmer's market Tuesday on the Tempe campus. All proceeds went to United Foods and the American Jewish World Service efforts in Sudan and Darfur. (Photo by Shawn Raymundo)

Challah for Hunger at ASU sold challah bread at the ASU Farmers Market Tuesday with plans to give the proceeds to organizations working to defuse world hunger.

Challah for Hunger is a national organization that sells the Jewish bread challah and gives the proceeds to American Jewish World Service’s Sudan Relief and Advocacy Fund.

Global Studies senior Samantha Novak recently started ASU’s chapter after realizing that she wanted to do more to help in the efforts of global hunger relief.

“I wanted to be able to make a difference,” Novak said.

Novak was studying abroad in Prague when she originally heard of Challah for Hunger and thought it would be a good way to help others.

As well as donating its proceeds to the American Jewish World Service’s Sudan Relief and Advocacy Fund, ASU’s chapter of Challah for Hunger also gave half of its proceeds to a local organization working to aid in helping those who do not have food.

The proceeds currently go to the United Food Bank in Tempe.

“We’re planning on rotating through a variety of different charities,” Novak said.

Right now, the group picks which organization they want to give to based on its presence.

The group gained most of its members by a common bond they all share — a love of baking, French freshmen Kristen Gadzik said.

“A lot of people were really excited to bake,” Gadzik said.

Novak said she believes the organization was interesting because it gives people a chance to bake and bond with each other, all for a good cause.

“The people that bake bread there together every week get two hours where all they do is baking bread and talking together,” Novak said.

Kinesiology freshman Melanie Lehnhardt joined because she enjoys serving her community as well as baking.

“I like baking and I also am looking to do a lot of community service, that is something I’ve always grown up with,” Lehnhardt said.

When she first came to ASU, Lehnhardt was looking for an organization with values like Challah for Hunger.

Challah for Hunger bakes the bread at the Hillel Jewish Center the night before the sale.

Novak said that usually 11 members work in different shifts to bake the bread.

The group works in two different shifts starting at 3:30 p.m. and usually end at 8 p.m.

Challah for Hunger sold four flavors — chocolate chip spice sugar, Nutella, garlic sriracha and plain — at the farmers market.

Challah for Hunger plans to advocate for the organizations it donates to by writing to local senators and volunteering for the groups next semester, Novak said.

Reach the reporter at shurst2@asu.edu

Video by Tiana Chavez

×