There’s little doubt that Justin Verlander was the best pitcher in all of the American League during the 2011 season.

The Tigers’ ace posted an incredible 24-5 record to go with a solid 2.40 ERA and 250 strikeouts. Verlander was awarded with the well-deserved AL Cy Young Award last week for his efforts.

The right-hander added to his hardware with the AL Most Valuable Player award on Monday. A pitcher winning the award is rare, as Verlander is the first hurler since 1992 to claim the MVP honor.

So should a pitcher — someone who does not play every day — win an MVP award?

Verlander started 34 of Detroit’s 162 games last season. Of course, that’s far less than even half of the team’s games. But when he was on the field, he simply dominated. He tossed a no-hitter over the Blue Jays in May.

With a lights-out fastball, the four-time All-Star led the Tigers to the AL Central division crown.

Yes, Verlander is a pitcher who played every fifth day. But he was clearly the most valuable player to his team. If the Tigers don’t have him atop their rotation, they don’t make the playoffs.

Whether or not a pitcher should be MVP is often debated. But Verlander definitely deserved it after a top-notch season.

×