Erickson’s job in question following loss to Cal

Football coach Dennis Erickson applauds on the sidelines during the Sun Devils 47-38 loss to California on Friday. Erickson said he would meet with athletic director Lisa Love sometime over the week to discuss his future with the team. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

The rumors and rumblings slowly began to surface weeks ago.

Now after the ASU football team’s latest defeat, speculation surrounding coach Dennis Erickson’s future is in full force.

The veteran coach completed his fifth regular season with the Sun Devils (6-6, 4-5 Pac-12) with a 47-38 loss to California on Saturday.

After winning six of its first eight contests, ASU finished the 2011 regular season mired in a disappointing four game losing streak.

The Sun Devils were favored in each of their final four games. Just one of those opponents possessed a winning record heading into its bout against ASU.

Despite the team’s woes, senior defensive tackle Bo Moos was quick to defend his coach.

“We love Coach E.,” Moos said. “Obviously the blame is ultimately going to be put on him, but we don’t feel like it should be. If that ends up being the case then I’m just glad this is my last year because I wouldn’t want to play for anyone else.”

Erickson’s job status is likely to be determined in the coming days. Following Saturday’s loss, he stated that he’s planning on sitting down with athletic director Lisa Love early next week.

The coach anticipated that the two will discuss the state of the football program and what’s best for the Sun Devils moving forward.

“I’ve been around a long time,” Erickson said. “I’m going to do whatever I think and she thinks is best for this football program. I’ve had a great five years here. I love it here. I’d like to stay here and finish the job.”

Erickson then mentioned in his postgame press conference that he and his boss share a positive relationship and that he expects an open and honest conversation.

“She’ll be honest and that’s how it’s got to be,” Erickson said. “Too many times in this day in age in the fast food world of coaching and everything else people don’t communicate and all of a sudden something happens.”

Love hired Erickson as the program’s 22nd coach prior to the 2007 season. He then produced a 10-2 regular season record, a share of the Pac-10 title, and a trip to the Holiday Bowl. Since then, his Sun Devils squads have produced records of 5-7, 4-8, 6-6 and 6-6.

But expectations were sky high for the Sun Devils heading into the 2011 campaign. The team returned 24 seniors, faced a favorable schedule, and possessed a wealth of experience and depth on each side of the ball.

Additionally, Southern California remained ineligible for the postseason, thus eliminating itself from Pac-12 South relevancy.

Yet a demoralizing losing skid that began in Pasadena on Nov. 5 when ASU suffered a 29-28 loss to UCLA dashed those high hopes. ASU was then stunned 37-27 by Washington State in Pullman before watching Arizona claim the Territorial Cup in Tempe by a final score of 31-27.

Then there was Saturday. It was Senior Night for the Sun Devils in the 2011 home finale.

The once dominant ASU defense allowed 484 total yards of offense including three touchdowns by Cal junior running back C.J. Anderson. Junior quarterback Zach Maynard threw for 237 yards, and junior running back Isi Sofele bolted for 145 rushing yards.

Penalties plagued the Sun Devils once again as they amassed 11 penalties for 121 yards. Untimely flags derailed numerous offensive drives while personal fouls on defense provided the Golden Bears with extra yardage.

Cal’s defense intercepted junior quarterback Brock Osweiler with 2:14 left in the game to squash any potential Sun Devil comeback. After the clock expired, Erickson walked off the field amid a disgruntled crowd and several boos.

In early November, ASU sat at 6-2 on the year with the hardest part of its schedule over with. That’s when things took a downhill turn and the Sun Devils were handed four consecutive losses. ASU has not won since its 48-14 thumping over Colorado on Oct. 29.

“We were sitting there 6-2 with confidence and playing like heck,” Erickson said. “We felt that we had the chance to have a great year then you lose four in a row and just end up with a very, very average year.”

The average season places Erickson’s job status in serious jeopardy as ASU looks ahead to a bowl game. Until then, the coach’s fate remains undecided pending his meeting with Love.

“Her and I will communicate and I’m sure she’ll say the same thing to you if you ask her,” Erickson said. “So we just wait and see. That’s all I can tell you.”

Reach the reporter at greg.dillard@asu.edu Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press newsletter.

×