Think about the life of a college student. Laborious late nights, rushed delivery pizza and cram sessions in the stacks. But what is the one medium that serves as the panacea for college stress? Music.

In years past, the source for new music was the radio. As digital media has grown, the need for radio declined significantly. Local alternative station X103.9 recently closed up shop to become My1039, a classic rock station. This move brought into doubt once more the future of alternative radio. Now left with one of the only remaining alternative stations in the state, the ASU community has a decision to make about its radio station.

Both the ASU and the Tempe community will reap the benefits from broadening the popularity of ASU's student-run radio station, The Blaze. Music is a rare form of communication that translates into virtually every culture and language.

As universities bring in more diverse classes of students, the way in which students connect with one another must adapt. Having been a DJ at The Blaze, I think the administration at ASU does not adequately appreciate its student radio station and should actively take a role in promoting local music.

Sophomore journalism student and Music Director of The Blaze Patrick Ryan has made efforts to lure more listeners.

"While it isn't anything new, our entire staff has been really active in promoting our station through social media such as Facebook and Twitter. We've also partnered with local concert venues and even a ski resort for ticket giveaways and prizes that our listeners can win,” Ryan said. “In the music department, I've been personally trying to broaden the genres that our station plays and update our music on a more regular basis."

College students have been characterized as lovers of music throughout the decades. While adults are too busy with their families and day jobs to go out, college students fill concert halls.

Before the age of CDs and digital media, college radio was the premiere source for these very students to explore new music. As times changed and technology evolved, the way in which college students listen to music both improved and expanded. Due to this rapid evolution of the availability of mass media, listeners have left radio stations fighting to keep up with the times.

Last year, the University of San Francisco, Rice University and Vanderbilt University sold the broadcast licenses of their student-run college frequencies to buyers who changed them to classical-music formats. The universities attributed these sales to a lucrative multi-million dollar transaction, and also reasoned that the student participation and interest had declined.

If action is not taken to improve the status of The Blaze, declining listenership will cause the program to continue to lose funds and remain overlooked by the student body. While some oppose student-run radio due to its technological obsoleteness, supporters have been fighting in recent months to keep stations on campus throughout the country.

Ryan sees that changes as an opportunity to reassess the station.

"I think it just challenges The Blaze to step up to the plate as the primary indie and alternative radio station in the Valley,” he said. “This means keeping the station up to date with all that's current in indie music, and getting as many artists in for both interviews and performances to showcase the great wealth of local talent. I'm really proud of what our staff has accomplished so far, and I can't wait to see what we can accomplish this spring."

The Blaze is one of many college radio stations across the country in need of listeners and advertisers. By increasing the listenership of its radio station, ASU will also increase the cultural awareness of its student body.

As many universities across the country sell or discontinue their radio licenses, ASU can reaffirm their claim as the New American University by taking action on behalf of its student body. Hopefully universities can wise up and embrace their student radio stations as resources that are worth maintaining.

Reach the columnist at mbobman@asu.edu

×