John Roy to perform Friday night

Photo courtesy of Comedy Central
Photo courtesy of Comedy Central

John Roy is no stranger to humor or to Stand-up, Scottsdale! Comedy Club where he will be performing Friday, Feb. 2.

Roy has performed stand-up comedy for 15 years. In 2003, the Chicago native was the winner on the CBS show, “Star Search.” After the show, Roy headlined comedy clubs nationwide and appeared on an array of talk shows, including “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” and “The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.” Next Monday, Feb. 6, he will be on “Conan.”

Roy’s fascination with George Carlin and Richard Pryor as a child encouraged him to pursue comedy.

“They embedded modern comedy as we know it today,” he said. “They were the first people to put their own experiences in their shows. Before them, comedy was all about cheesy one-liners.”

As a scrawny kid in high school, Roy’s only way to avoid getting beaten up was to make fun of the bullies. They appreciated his humor.

Growing up in Chicago’s diverse Rogers Park neighborhood, Roy was exposed to other cultures and much of his comedy touches on modern, everyday urban experiences.

Although some comedians think performing on stage never gets easier, Roy begs to differ.

“It definitely gets better with time,” he explained. “The more times you go on stage, the more comfortable you are and the more confident you are. In this industry, confidence is key.”

For people interested in becoming comedians, he advises to seek onstage experience at least three times a week or as much as possible.

“You don’t know if the audience will laugh unless you go on stage in front of an audience,” Roy said. “Within a few months, you’ll know if you have what it takes.”

This will be Roy’s third time performing at Stand-Up! Scottsdale, a venue he looks forward to for its coziness and hospitality. The show will consist solely of the material on his upcoming CD, which comes out in March.

Roy’s comedy starts at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. Stand-Up, Scottsdale! Comedy Club is located at 6820 E. 5th Ave.

Reach the reporter at Roxana.Baldovin@asu.edu

×