Men's basketball routed by Huskies, loses 77–69

(Left to right) Trent Lockett, Jonathan Gilling, Carrick Felix and Chris Colvin huddle together in a game against Utah on Feb. 9. The Sun Devils lost to the Washington Huskies on Thursday night. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

It was interesting for the first 10 minutes, then the wheels came off.

The ASU men’s basketball team was down just three points midway through the first half before Washington took control of the game for good.

The Huskies (18-8, 11-3 Pac-12) defeated the Sun Devils (8-18, 4-10 Pac-12) 77–69 Thursday at Alaska Airlines Arena in Seattle.

Washingtonended the first half on a 17-4 run to lead 44-26 at halftime. The Huskies shot 49.2 percent from the floor, including 61.3 percent in the first half. Sophomore guard Terrence Ross led the game with 18 points and five rebounds and freshman guard Tony Wroten contributed 13 points, six steals, four assists and four rebounds.

The Huskies had 29 points off the bench. Sophomore guard C.J. Wilcox added 14 points in 23 minutes.

The Sun Devils played another turnover-filled game. Twelve of their 19 turnovers were committed in the first half. ASU shot 49 percent from the field, but went just 11-of-21 from the free throw line.

Junior guard Trent Lockett had 11 points and six turnovers. Junior wing Carrick Felix led the team with 13 points off the bench.

ASU is in the midst of a six-game losing streak when away from Wells Fargo Arena. Its road schedule concludes at Washington State on Saturday when the Sun Devils will try to sweep the season series against the Cougars. ASU won the first matchup 71-67 on Jan. 28. It was the only win for ASU during the six games without Lockett, who was out with an ankle injury.

Washington State lost 76–72 to UA on Thursday. Junior forward Brock Motum led the Cougars with 28 points. Junior guard Reggie Moore added 21 points and four assists in the loss.

Tip is scheduled at 6 p.m. and the game will be broadcast on ROOT Sports Northwest and 620 AM.

Reach the reporter at mtesfats@asu.edu

×