Broke's the New Black: ASU Model Citizen: Tessa Kahoun

Tessa Kahoun. Photo by Nick Duplessis.
Tessa Kahoun. Photo by Nick Duplessis.

Tessa, a 21-year-old communications major, finds luxury in the most grounded of places. Her style exuberates earthy tones while accessorizing with chic add-ons. I sat down for a Q&A to look into the mind of this stylish student.

How would you describe your personal style? Bohemian chic. I like to be thrifty, and I don’t like to buy things at full price. I love to be comfortable so I tend to wear maxi dresses often. Lately, I’ve really been drawn to leopard blouses and have been wearing them out a lot when dressing up.

Where are your favorite places to shop? I love Nordstrom Rack, Urban Outfitters, Divas Boutique, and hole-in-the-wall boutiques that no one knows about. That’s why I love going to Newport Beach. I also adore Stella and Dot accessories. I’m a rep and independent stylist for them so I’m really passionate about the brand.

What’s your current go-to item? I’m really attracted to denim vests this spring. I layer it over everything from maxi dresses to oversized tees. One of my favorite outfits is a floral zipper dress and jean vest. It’s like cute ‘90s grunge. It also works with wedges -- I hate heels! -- or ankle boots.

What’s your ideal first date, and favorite thing to wear on it? I’m traditional. I like a romantic dinner and a movie at my place, or I really love to go bowling as a fun activity. I’d probably wear straight-legged jeans, wedges and an oversized blouse. I love flowy and off-the-shoulder tops so they accentuate my shoulders -- it’s effortlessly flattering.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years, and what will you be wearing to work? I’d like to be a talent agent or casting director working in the entertainment business. I can imagine myself wearing the same things, but more of a polished version like blazers with my plain tees. In the entertainment industry, I need to stay on trend and fashionable. I love my style and don’t plan on changing it anytime soon.

×