Cako, Brycki lead tennis to victories over Ducks, Huskies

Jacqueline Cako prepares to hit a backhand in a match against Sacramento State on March 2. Cako and the Sun Devils defeated both Oregon and Washington 5–2 last weekend. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

While students were enjoying spring break, ASU’s women’s tennis team was hard at work.

The team defeated Pac-12 foes Oregon and Washington 5–2 over the weekend.

“Anytime you can get two wins on a weekend, it’s important, especially in the (Pac-12) conference,” coach Sheila McInerney said.

Oregon took to the courts in Tempe on Friday and the Sun Devils quickly took the doubles points.

The pair of sophomore Jacqueline Cako and junior Hannah James defeated junior Patricia Skoronski and freshman Sofia Hager 8–3.

Finishing second, senior Sianna Simmons and freshman Leighann Sahagun beat sophomores Rabea Stueckemann and Pascale Neubert 8–2.

McInerney said she has been pleased with strong doubles play from her team so far, but they need to get better.

“It’s key to improve our doubles play because the degree of difficulty gets much higher next weekend against Stanford and Cal.”

On the singles court against Oregon, Cako and senior Michelle Brycki won quickly in the first and second positions.

Brycki defeated Skowronski 6–0, 6–1 and Cako defeated junior Julia Metzger 6–1, 6–0.

“Jacqueline and Michelle played well both days,” McInerney said. “They got off to a quick start and that helped with the confidence of the other players.”

The rest of the team showed similar success, with Simmons and Sahagun both taking victories against Oregon.

Simmons defeated senior Trudie du Toit in a tough three set match, going 4–6, 6–1, 6–3.

“Sianna had a good weekend and played really well against Oregon,” McInerney said.

The match got off to a familiar start Saturday against Washington with the Sun Devils taking the doubles point after powerful performances from Cako and James, who defeated senior Samantha Smith and sophomore Andjela Nemcevic 8–4.

Brycki and freshman Joanna Smith took their match 8–5, and Simmons and Sahagun took theirs 8–6.

The Sun Devils were again championed by strong performances from Brycki and Cako.

Cako shut out Nemcevic, winning 6–0, 6–0, and Brycki defeated Samantha Smith 6–2, 6–2.

Spurred by the early victories, Smith and Sahagun won their matches as well, securing the 5–2 win.

Smith defeated freshman Riko Shimizu 6–1, 6–4, and Sahagun beat senior Adrijana Pavlovic 6–4, 6–2.

After winning the first match and losing the second, Simmons retired her match losing the last set 4–2 against freshman Capucine Gregoire.

McInerney said it looked as if Simmons might have tweaked her knee during the match against Washington.

But at this point during the middle of the season, discomfort is part of the game.

The Sun Devils play Stanford and Cal next weekend. After that, ASU will face UCLA and USC, opponents the Sun Devils are eagerly anticipating.

“We’ve been successful against top tier teams before,” McInerney said. “We just need to be aware that there’s a big jump this weekend in the level of play starting with Stanford. The kids need to be ready for that.”

Rather than something to dread, McInerney said she and the team is excited to play up the level of competition.

“We’re playing against the best,” she said. “That’s not bad. It’s great. That’s why athletes come to ASU.”

Reach the reporter at dkmcinty@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×