Mr. Santorum,

Please do the Republicans (and me) a huge favor. Just drop out already.

Congratulations on Louisiana, though the results do little to nothing to help your chances of gaining the nomination.

Never have I seen a more determined loser. Every day you stay in this race is a day Mitt Romney will have to spend putting up with your childish shenanigans instead of focusing on challenging Barack Obama.

In the past, I’ve defended you and your campaign against political opponents. I’ve pointed out that you’re determined and fiscally conservative.

Then I read about your use of foul language to reporters and irrational, bizarre accusations that Romney is the “worst Republican in the country to put up against Barack Obama.”

No, I disagree. Obama has the presidency 100 percent in his pocket if by some miracle you receive the nomination. Then I see that you’ve gone out and embraced social conservatism and issues that have little to no relevance in the coming election.

Whether this is just a monumental campaign blunder or lack of a better political direction, it shows a weakness on your part and that you may not be politically savvy enough for the job.

And really, you plan on banning hardcore pornography if you’re elected president?

Yes, I’m sure that is at the top of every Americans’ lists of political importance.

Even more embarrassing is some of the news that is surfacing about your ridiculous claims in 2008. Is Satan really attacking the great institutions of America? Is the “father of lies” taking hold of America?

No, I don’t think it’s Satan. I think the present is a result of the past. Society operates and functions as it does today simply because America has changed. Collectively, more people in our country have embraced the good that has come from our government, even if that good has sometimes come from a government that has grown too big and too inefficient.

But then again, maybe I’m the crazy one.

It shouldn’t be very hard for any sensible person to read about Santorum and Romney and choose Mitt over Rick.

Rick, do you really think there are people out there who still believe you are the right person to lead this country?

Republicans who are reading this open letter, do we really want Rick Santorum to shape our party’s politics?

Rick, please. For the love of God, drop out of the race.

Congratulations on Louisiana, though. I’m sure your campaign will need the motivation.

Reach the columnist at spmccaul@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×