Scholarship awarded to student for philanthropic work

Tim Hall, the vice chair of Finance for Phoenix Philanthropists, presents ASU film and media sophomore Jared Doles the nonprofit organization’s first scholarship of $1,000 Wednesday afternoon. (Photo by Brittany Lea)

Nonprofit group Phoenix Philanthropists awarded its first $1,000 philanthropy scholarship Wednesday to film and media sophomore Jared Doles at Changemaker Central on the Tempe campus.

The volunteer organization’s scholarship program recognizes the philanthropic efforts of post-secondary students in their communities, said Tim Hall, vice chair of finance for Phoenix Philanthropists.

“This is just our way of giving back something to those who give so selflessly of their time,” Hall said, “We could not be more thrilled to have a candidate with Jared's background as our first Phoenix Philanthropists Scholarship Award recipient.”

In high school, Doles performed at a high academic level. After graduation, he traveled to Uruguay through UNICEF to volunteer for two years.

He continued to volunteer at ASU and is currently vice president of both the Circle K International volunteer service organization and the March of Dimes organization on ASU campus, said Irma Leyendecker, Phoenix Philanthropist board member.

“Jared showed to be truly committed and dedicated to his volunteer mission,” she said. “He was awarded this scholarship because he has proven himself as a life-long philanthropist.”

Students getting involved with philanthropic work can change their lives and the lives of others, Doles said.

“I want to show people that students truly have the power to make a tangible difference,” Doles said. “It’s our community. Everyone should be apart of making it better.”

A scholarship applicant can fulfill volunteer service hours through Phoenix Philanthropists, churches and other accredited organizations or by helping at events and races.

The applicant is required to provide proof of volunteering for an organization, Hall said.

“All applicants need to keep detailed accounts of all their volunteer efforts and provide some references from the organizations that they served for a full year,” he said. “Our scholarship committee will verify that the applicant did participate within that respective organization.”

Phoenix Philanthropists has more than 1,800 volunteers subscribed to their website, Hall said.

The organization started in February 2008 as an opportunity for like-minded individuals of all ages and socioeconomic backgrounds to come together and support charitable organizations in the Phoenix metro area, Hall said.

“The organization believes that philanthropy is a matter of the heart,” he said. “We strive to empower individuals, businesses and organizations to change lives in their community through volunteerism.”

Volunteering with a philanthropic service that an individual is passionate about is important for achieving a feeling of pride and fulfillment, Leyendecker said.

“Be apart of that change, cause or mission,” she said. “There’s something out there for everyone.”

Reach the reporter at gqolson@asu.edu

×