‘Seeking Justice’ a weak revenge thriller

(Image courtesy of Endgame Entertainment)

Pitchforks: 1/5

Rated: R

Release date: March 16

Starring: Nicolas Cage, Guy Pearce

After seeing “Seeking Justice,” the only thing the audiences are going to walk away remembering is the annoying phrase “the hungry rabbit jumps.”

“Seeking Justice” is a confusing disappointment that tried to make a cool clandestine society and connect it with a supposedly ordinary schoolteacher, Will, played by Nicolas Cage.

In the first ten minutes of the movie, audiences are introduced to a secret hit man society who they say are out to “seek justice” for rape, assault and murder crimes.

Simon, a slick character played by Guy Pearce, finds Will in the hospital waiting room and tells him about his organization that will deliver justice to the man who raped Will’s wife Laura (January Jones).

Viewers will be quickly irritated with the unlikely pairing of Cage and Jones and by the fact that the title of the film is thrown around so casually in the script.

Cage and Jones, while fine actors on their own, make a completely unrealistic and uncharismatic couple. Cage’s character gets himself into a mess with the hit man society when he realizes that after they kill the man who raped his wife, he now has to repay them by killing another man.

In the meantime, Laura recovers from her traumatic experience and is left completely in the dark as to what Will is up to, but she somehow never seems to get annoyed with him.

The entire society operates on the catch phrase, “the hungry rabbit jumps,” which is supposed to symbolize the motivation behind the society: to bring justice when the U.S. legal system fails. However, the division of the society run by Simon has gone rogue and kills whoever gets in the way.

Eventually, almost all the characters are throwing this phrase around which shows others that they know about the society and are working for it. It all quickly becomes confusing and annoying rather than clandestine and cryptic.

Perhaps the most unrealistic part about the movie is how Will, an ordinary high school English teacher, suddenly has the skill to outrun police chases, jump over highway fences and wield a gun.

On a positive note, audiences looking for high-speed chases and fights will be satisfied as the movie incorporates some classic action scenes.

Unlike the “National Treasure” movies Cage is most known for, “Seeking Justice” isn’t able to create an exciting undercover association.

While the movie ends in a cliffhanger, it’s doubtful there will be a sequel unless they ditch the corny lines and make the storyline more complex.

Reach the reporter at newlin.tillotson@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on FacebookClick here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×