ASUlympics emphasizes tolerance, understanding

ASUlympics participants play a game of soccer on the Student Recreation Center fields on the Tempe campus. (Photo by Jessie Wardarski)

Hundreds of ASU students competed in flag football, soccer, badminton and volleyball games at the Student Recreation Complex on Saturday and Sunday for the Coalition of International Students’ annual ASUlympics.

CIS, a nonprofit organization, works to unite domestic and international students in the ASUlympics.

Computer systems engineering senior Ricardo Padilla, who was born in Mexico, participated as a CIS officer.

“We expose them to elements of American culture through sport,” Padilla said. “Coaches are brought in to illustrate the rules and fundamentals behind American sports like football and basketball.”

All of the athletics events are co-ed as part of the inclusive nature of the ASUlympics.

Mechanical engineering freshmen Salim al-Alawi took part in the soccer tournament.

Al-Alawi recently arrived in America from Oman and has been playing soccer his entire life. He welcomed the challenge of playing against female opponents.

“In Oman, players are always separated by gender,” al-Alawi said. “It was invigorating to play against girls, but they definitely held their own.”

CIS President Salvador Rosas said these activities are crucial for continuing the education and acceptance of students from different backgrounds.

“Things like the ASUlympics allow us to improve our outreach ability and maintain high levels of focus as well as accountability,” Rosas said.

He said the experiences of incoming international students are improved by the existence of organizations like CIS.

Established in 2004 by five ASU international students, CIS has expanded every year and taken on new responsibilities.

“The coalition operates as a type of umbrella organization,” Rosas said. “Through the CIS, we can ensure that the many smaller organizations are interconnected and that their respective students are being taken care of.”

At the conclusion of athletic events Sunday night, CIS officials presented the winners with medals they earned over the course of the weekend.

Nacim Stamboul, a December 2011 graduate who was born in Colombia and raised in Ecuador before coming to ASU, participated in the soccer portion of the ASUlympics for years.

“You come in and play hard, but the best part of it is meeting new people from new places,” Stamboul said. “The games are all very informal and lighthearted. It’s about expanding your understanding of different types of people.”

Reach the reporter at mjgordo1@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×