ASU Undie Run moves locations, on schedule

Participants of the 2010 Undie Run wait for the run to start. Despite funding issues, the Undie Run will be taking place Tuesday, April 24. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

ASU students will again get the chance to shed their clothes for charity during the annual Undie Run, which will be held Tuesday as scheduled despite financial setbacks.

Undie Run spokeswoman Kayla Frost said it was a struggle to raise enough funds this year because University administration wanted the group to increase security and fencing for the event.

“Now we’re just trying to get additional funding for the staging and sound,” Frost said.

The group still needs about $4,800 more to pay for the large stage but will downsize these plans if this goal is not met, Frost said.

“It’s just not going to be as cool,” she said.

The growing number of participants each year has caused the group to also move the event from the Student Recreation Complex fields to Lot 59 North.

Tempe’s FLASH buses have agreed to run later than usual and will also reroute some lines to take participants to Lot 59 from alternative parking around the Tempe campus, Frost said.

“(Lot 59 North is) less convenient than the SRC fields, so we’re trying to make it more convenient,” Frost said.

Many of the last-minute donations came from up-and-coming clothing and underwear companies.

“Surprisingly, a lot of underwear companies have come out of nowhere and donated money,” Frost said.

Local business Brick Wall Clothing is selling men and women’s underwear on its website for $10 each and donating half of the profit to the run.

Frost said after this year’s financial struggle, next year the group will start focusing on fundraising earlier.

“I think we need to start focusing on sponsorship way earlier so we’re not scrambling toward the end,” she said.

Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu

Clarification: The ASU Undie Run is currently only raising money for the stage. Creative Backstage donated sound, roofing and lighting equipment.

Follow us on Twitter or like us on FacebookClick here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×