The Phoenix Coyotes are in the Stanley Cup playoffs for the third consecutive year. Mike Smith has been a revelation all season, the ‘Yotes aren’t facing the Detroit Red Wings in the first round and I couldn’t be happier.

Actually, I probably could.

During Smith’s first real shot at becoming a full-time goalie in the NHL, he posted an impressive .930 save percentage and a 38-18 win/loss record.

However, despite many fans calling Smith the “Anti-Bryz” after coming through in the Coyotes’ overtime victory over the Blackhawks on Thursday night, let’s all take a step back.

Ilya Bryzgalov, the team’s goaltender from 2007 to 2011, was a regular-season machine in the crease, but choked under pressure when the team reached the playoffs.

In each game of the 2012 Western Conference Quarterfinals, Smith allowed a goal in the closing seconds of regulation — and both sent the game to overtime. Smith excelled in game one, but failed to produce a similar result in game two.

That said, allow me to set the record straight: I believe in the Phoenix Coyotes. I believe in Mike Smith. I believe coach Dave Tippett’s squad will band together and finally reach the second round of the playoffs.

I also wish it were easier to believe, but then again, when has anything rewarding ever been easy?

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter

×