Tenant 'in Apt 23' thrives on manipulation, scheming

Dont-Trust-The-B-In-Apartment-23
(Photo courtesy of ABC)

As many college students and graduates will attest to, finding a suitable roommate is almost more difficult than finding a job in this tight economy.

In a hilariously exaggerated new ABC comedy, “Don’t Trust the B— in Apt 23” bases itself on the unsettling disasters and irksome situations that young adults face when they are forced to live with a random roommate.

The fresh comedy stars eccentric and inconsiderate Chloe (Krysten Ritter) and her new roommate June (Dreama Walker), whose personalities are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Naughty, straightforward and quirky Chloe clashes with June’s conservative, sweet and polite nature.

Other notable characters include Chloe’s steamy sidekick James Van Der Beek as himself, who was previously famous for playing the main character in “Dawson’s Creek,” and the awkward neighbor girl in apartment 21, Robin (Liza Lapira).

The pilot episode, released online, prepares viewers with a solid foundation regarding the backstory that has led June and Chloe to live together.

Due to unfortunate circumstances — including the loss of her job — June has been forced to find a new roommate. After she resorts to an online search for a person to live with, she interviews some incredibly strange potentials and ultimately ends up selecting Chloe.

The meaning behind the title of the series becomes concretely evident when Chloe’s neighbor Robin anxiously grabs the attention of June and warns her about her roommate before nervously slamming her door to avoid further questioning.

In true essence of her outrageous character, Chloe responds to June’s retelling of this warning with a vain response, “Oh, that’s Robin. She’s in love with me.”

Throughout the remainder of the pilot, Chloe tries several creatively scheming tactics to scare June away — of course, after she has already received her hefty money deposit. Chloe finds pleasure in scaring away roommates and has done so successfully with many roommates in the past.

The first official episode of the series, “Daddy’s Girl,” premiered Wednesday night with rich, twisted surprises and over-the-top scheming.

The episode reveals Chloe’s complex family drama, which she manages to drag June into. June also reluctantly lets Chloe set her up on a date, only to find out that the man who Chloe has selected is Chloe’s own father.

With so many television shows dealing with relationships and the struggles of young American life, it might have been difficult for the producers to create new and original material. This series seems to promise fresh ideas and a successfully unique spin on what seems to preside in many shows.

Though there has only been one episode on television, the show will no doubt continue to provide surprises. Just when the story seems to be heading down a predictable path, some ridiculous element is added to revive the plot.

For those who feel they can relate to roommate problems, a show like this can make almost any squabbling living arrangement seem not only normal but appreciated.

Reach the reporter at ejnicho1@asu.edu

×