Pat’s Run, spring game to highlight weekend

Pat Tillman (left) walks out for a pre-game coin toss. Tillman will be honored Saturday during the eighth annual Pat’s Run. (Photo courtesy of Sun Devil Athletics Media Relations)

From the Wisconsin fans dancing to “Jump Around” to the University of Georgia’s live bulldog mascot Uga, college football is full of traditions. While the majority of traditions are observed on Saturdays in the fall, one of ASU’s most meaningful traditions is reserved for the spring.

Prior to Saturday’s spring game, the Pat Tillman Foundation will host the eighth annual Pat’s Run in honor of the player who died while serving in Afghanistan.

“Obviously, he’s an icon,” said ASU junior defensive tackle Jake Sheffield. “What he stood for and the sacrifice that he was willing to give for his country is very admirable. I respect him for that. Not a lot of people would leave what he left to serve. The person he is is very admirable. I respect him and what he stands for.”

For the first time in its history, the 4.2-mile run, which starts on Packard Drive and finishes at the 42-yard line of Frank Kush Field, is sold out, with 28,000 people registered for the race.

“Pat Tillman, that’s a role model for everybody across the world,” redshirt senior linebacker Brandon Magee said. “Just look him up. It’s amazing. His story is amazing.”

Following the race, Tillman’s presence will still be felt as the Sun Devils, emerging from Tillman Tunnel with a black “42” patch on their jerseys, will play their annual spring game at 1 p.m.

“Being able to represent him and what he stood for and what the school stands for is going to be awesome,” Sheffield said.

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×