Tempe hosts Green Business Expo

Justin Olson performs at the Green Business Expo in Tempe on Wednesday morning. (Photo by Diana Lustig)

More than 50 Tempe businesses and organizations showcased environmentally friendly products and services Wednesday in preparation for Earth Day at the Sixth Street Park Green Business Expo.

The event featured green businesses that offer eco-friendly merchandise and advice ranging from organic skin-care products to home energy reduction tips.

“Tempe is a sustainable city that supports the planet economically, socially and environmentally,” Tempe spokeswoman Amanda Nelson said. “We want people living in Tempe to know about all the products and services that are available in the area to help reduce our carbon footprint.”

The “good and steady” stream of people makes Tempe optimistic about the event, she said.

“We will definitely be looking into doing another event like the Green Business Expo next year to continue supporting local green businesses,” Nelson said.

AAA Yellow Cab was one of the more familiar Phoenix businesses that had a booth at the expo. With a large city like Phoenix and its increasing smog, Yellow Cab reduces its carbon footprint by fueling their vehicles with E85 ethanol, said Brian Lane, marketing manager for AAA Yellow Cab.

There is a limited supply of natural resources and it is necessary for businesses to find alternatives, he said.

“We can’t keep wasting, we have to start reusing,” Lane said.

Artizen Apparel, which participated in the expo, sells garments made from organic and recycled materials. The polyester the company uses for clothing is made of recycled plastic water bottles.

All ink that is used on the garments is also eco-friendly, made without harmful toxins in order to eliminate a customers’ exposure to chemicals, said Scott Allison, Artizen Apparel president and ASU alumnus.

Businesses in larger cities will eventually need to become eco-friendly in order to reduce high pollution, he said.

“Conventional business will need to change one day because the road they’re on is going to end,” Allison said. “Supporting local and green businesses is important because they are looking out for their consumers as well as the environment.”

By supporting local and green businesses now, consumers are doing their part by putting their sustainable foot forward, Allison said.

“It is important for consumers who believe in sustainability and eco-friendly products and services to support these businesses and organizations that do as well,” Allison said.

Reach the reporter at gqolson@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on FacebookClick here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×