Water polo ties single-season wins record against Spartans

Anna Kertes plays defense in a game against San Diego State on March 3. Kertes scored four first-half goals in ASU’s loss to Stanford. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

The ASU water polo team fell to No. 2 Stanford in Palo Alto, Calif., on Saturday, but came back with a win Sunday against No. 10 San Jose State in San Jose, Calif.

The No. 4 Sun Devils (21-5, 3-3 MPSF) lost the first match 12–8, after a tough battle in the pool, but made sure to put up a good fight against Stanford (17-1, 3-0 MPSF).

Freshman Anna Kertes led ASU in the first half with four goals and senior Mariam Salloum netted one as well.

With only three more goals scored by ASU in the remainder of the game, Stanford was able to secure the victory.

Sophomore goalkeeper Ianeta Hutchinson had a total of seven saves during the Stanford game.

The Sun Devils refused to allow the loss to affect their play against San Jose State.

Junior Shannon Haas was an offensive force, netting four goals, one in each quarter.

Seniors Alicia Brightwell and Kelsey White maintained the momentum for ASU with two goals each, while Salloum and Kertes followed with a goal apiece to claim the 10–8 victory, the first conference road win this season.

Hutchinson defended the net with eight saves against the Spartans.

The 21st win for the Sun Devils matched the school record for single-season wins, which hasn’t been achieved since the 2008 season.

The Sun Devils will host a double header against Hawaii and Cal-Baptist on Saturday, April 14 at Mona Plummer Aquatic Center in Tempe starting at 11 a.m.

Reach the reporter at fawade@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on FacebookClick here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×