Football announces return to Camp Tontozona

Six weeks after the ASU football program launched its “Return toCampT” campaign, the Sun Devils announced they would be going to Camp Tontozona for the first time since the 2007 season. The Sun Devils will practice at Tontozona from August 14-18, with a scrimmage on the 18.

“We’re looking forward to taking the team up there and looking forward to developing a championship quality team up there at Tontozona,” ASU coach Todd Graham said.

Athletics Director Steve Patterson echoed Graham’s sentiments and talked about the importance of Tontozona to the ASU community.

“We look back at Tontozona and recognize that it is a place that binds the many generations of ASU football together going back nearly sixty years,” Patterson said.

The campaign asked the ASU community to raise $150,000 dollars prior to June 1 and according to Patterson, a little more than $160,000 was raised. Nearly 500 people, including former players representing the last sixty years of ASU football, donated various funds to the campaign.

The White Mountain Sun Devil Club Alumni Chapter was also very generous as they matched every dollar donated from May 2 onward, up to $65,000.

“It’s a tradition that means a lot to Sun Devil fans,” White Mountain Sun Devil Club President Ted Cesarano said. “We looked at it from the standpoint of what our experiences were in the past and how much fun it was and how it not only brought football players together, but fans together.”

Although it is only his first year at the helm of the ASU program, Graham understands the importance Tontozona. The coach acknowledged how beneficial a few days away from everyday distractions can be and talked about why this is so important.

“Tradition is what really brings people together,” Graham said. “We want it to be a time of coming together, restoring this tradition is great for us. I’m excited. I can’t wait to be at the top ofMountKushwith our team singing the fight song.”

In addition to practices and meetings, Graham mentioned that there will be some teambuilding exercises in the down time and said Frank Kush will travel to Tontozona and will address the team at the camp.

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×