ASU’s four main campuses undergo major construction

A construction crew works on the landscaping renovation on North Neighborhood on the Tempe campus. Construction is also taking place at the Student Recreation Complex and the W. P. Carey School of Business on the Tempe campus and the three other campuses. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

A construction crew works on the landscaping renovation on the North Neighborhood of the Tempe campus. Construction is also taking place at the Student Recreation Complex and the W. P. Carey School of Business on the Tempe campus and the three other campuses. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

With construction underway on ASU’s four campuses, students can see new ongoing projects as well as renovations to existing buildings.

North Campus

The North Neighborhood on the Tempe campus is getting a major facelift with the remodeling of Manzanita Hall and the landscaping at Palo Verde Beach.

Manzanita Hall’s renovation is on schedule to be completed by fall 2013.

ASU’s Capital Programs Management Executive Director Bruce Jensen said the Manzanita improvements include larger dorm rooms as part of a “21st century concept of student living.”

He said the landscaping changes to Palo Verde Beach will improve the lawn and patio area.

The project was set to be completed before students arrived for the 2012-13 school year, but because of “unforeseen conditions,” which included finding an archeological site, the completion has been pushed back until September, Jensen said.

“It is a hassle, but we’re working hard to finish and give students access to the area,” he said. “Students will appreciate the end product.”

McCord Hall

The W. P. Carey School of Business is building a new facility to add to its two existing buildings.

The new facility, McCord Hall, was named in honor of the late Bob McCord and his wife Sharon Dupont McCord.

W. P. Carey Dean Robert E. Mittelstaedt said in an email that the facility's estimated cost is $57 million.

The McCords donated $5 million toward the project. Together, business students who voted to pay a fee that would go toward the construction cost and valley organizations raised $13 million.

As the first construction project for the business school in over 25 years, the new building will attract other students and faculty and is vital to the continued success of the school, Mittelstaedt said.

“Virtually all the top 30 business schools in the U.S. have constructed new, modern, well-equipped (and) attractive facilities in the last 15 years,” he said. “The quality of facilities is part of the competitive equation for recruiting faculty, students and even for recruiters who come to campus to hire graduates.”

Mittelstaedt said the project, which broke ground last October, will also be a sustainable building.

McCord Hall will use 30 percent less water and 35 percent less energy than similar buildings on campus, according to the project’s website.

Sun Devil Fitness Complex

East of the McCord Hall structure, construction is underway on the Sun Devil Fitness Complex.

Jensen said the construction will expand the Student Recreation Center into a multi-purpose facility.

The project was put on hold for two months after an archaeological site was found. The crew is working to stay on schedule and open fall 2013, Jensen said.

Other campuses

Both the West and Polytechnic campuses are set to complete construction on their fitness complexes in January 2013.

The Downtown campus break ground Friday on a project that will expand the Lincoln Family Downtown YMCA. The expansion is scheduled to finish by fall 2013.

Reach the reporter at ppineda@asu.edu

Correction: This article has been updated to reflect that renovations at Palo Verde Beach will improve the existing lawn and patio area.

×