Campus club makes chocolate a priority

The Chocoholics Circle, a club at ASU, is strictly for chocolate lovers which focuses on the history of chocolate and anything else chocolate related. (Photo by Shelby Bernstein)

The Chocoholics Circle is a club at ASU devoted to the history of chocolate and anything else chocolate related.
(Photo by Shelby Bernstein)

Chocolate no longer has to be a secret pleasure on the Tempe campus.

The Chocoholics Circle, a student group, focuses its meetings on eating and discussing chocolate.

Participants meet once a month to discuss topics such as the history of chocolate and their opinions after tasting it.

Each meeting has a specific chocolate theme where attendees can learn more facts about chocolate.

Everyone who attends the meetings can taste the month’s treat.

After partaking of the sweet, members will often participate in themed discussions or share what they enjoyed or disliked about the dessert.

The club is easygoing, allowing students to come whenever they are available. Member attendance varies in each meeting.

English literature senior Deanna Skaggs is president and founder of The Chocoholics Circle.

She said students should come to the meetings and bring their chocolate opinions.

“(Students should join) so that they can get away from the pressure of all their classes (and) just enjoy some free time, enjoy chocolate … and cool conversation, some low-key fun,” Skaggs said.

Skaggs said the club developed from a project she had her freshman year.

In 2009 she began looking for those who would be interested in founding the club with her.

The following year, the first meeting was assembled.  The Chocoholics Circle was originally known as The Chocolate Crusade.

Group members decided to change the name because of confusion and mixed reactions the initial name received. After many suggestions and votes, the club was officially christened The Chocoholics Circle.

Developmental biology senior Neenah Grade, the club treasurer, said club meetings are a mix of returning chocoholics and first-timers.

Grade said meetings always have chocolate samples for everyone who attends.

“In the past we have gotten some interesting chocolate to taste, including raw cacao beans,” she said.

Previous meetings have had foreign and American chocolates, like the award-winning Amano Artisan Chocolate.

Members have also tasted flavored chocolates with fruit fillings.

All ASU students are welcome to join the club and attend meetings.

Spanish linguistics senior Ryan Hartwig said he learned about the club after attending Passport to ASU, a campus club expo.

“Based on what I’ve seen, you can be certain there will be well-planned activities and thought-provoking discussions,” he said.

The first meeting is tentatively scheduled for early September.

Reach the reporter at jcsolis@asu.edu

×