With the fall session commencing, incoming freshman students undoubtedly find it impossible to trek through campus without seeing the phrase “Go Greek." While fraternities and sororities aim their sights on the newly christened Sun Devils, a lesser-known group in Tempe recruits for new members.

The Underground Foundation at ASU prepares for its third year on campus to be one of Tempe's foremost supporters of the independent art and music scene. English literature senior and TUF president and founder Khayree Billingslea is leading an unconventional social-media ad campaign to recruit the roughly 60-member organization.

Weeks before the school year, TUF insisted over Facebook that Greek life at ASU is an “option,” opposing a national tendency of teenagers to feel pressured to rush, and later pledge during their freshman year.

“Facebook is our best friend. ...We will be posting clever content showing how much better we are than other social organizations,” Billingslea said in an email.

He realized the competition in attracting members when Rush Week rolls around.

Billingslea said he ensured his campaign garnered attention through shock and awe.

“We’re aware we’re attacking Greek stereotypes in our ads,” he said.

According to ASU's promotional brochure, the Tempe campus boasts one of the most diverse student bodies in the country.

The TUF “Option” campaign argues against forcing such a widespread group of people into Greek life.

"Some people enjoy everything else. TUF is for everyone else," Billingslea said.

In addition to putting effort into recruitment and advertisement, TUF spent the summer planning for a busy year. Typical to the form of the organization, they planned lots of music, ink and witty retorts.

Billingslea listed his hopes for the upcoming months: “Book lots of shows. Rebranding. Develop intra-TUF community. Get more tattoos. Piss off Greeks. More philanthropy. ... More merch.? More cool stuff, in general. Also, a soccer team.

While he assures that his list begins to summarize the immense year ahead, the fearless leader of Tempe’s biggest secret notes how much his organization has grown.

“We actually know what we’re doing now and people know it. That’s the best way to put it. I don’t mean to sound arrogant, but that’s the truth. We want to improve our brand — being more recognizable — and make sure every member feels directly involved in our process,” Billingslea said.

While he no longer plays music, Billingslea utilizes his position at TUF to spend every waking moment promoting it and advocating it on the organization’s behalf and the Tempe community as a whole. When asked about his favorite moment so far with the club, his answer was simple and honest: “Every. Damn. Day.”

Reach the reporter at mbobman@asu.edu

×