ASU tennis comes away with several wins in first meet

Freshman Stephanie Vlad returns the ball during practice on Sept. 19. (Photo by Kyle Newman)

The ASU tennis team opened its season winning two doubles matches and two singles matches at the Wolverine Invitational in Ann Arbor, Mich., over the weekend.

Going up against tough opponents is never easy, especially after practicing for less than a week like the Sun Devils did.

The first day saw the doubles team of freshman Desirae Krawczyk and senior Hannah James defeated Florida’s team of Alexandra Cercone and Sofie Oyen 8-3.

Freshman Stephanie Vlad was the only player of the four competing that won her singles match, defeating Michigan’s Mimi Nguyen 6-3, 6-1.

On the second day, doubles were played outside in the wind, but singles were moved inside later due to bad weather conditions. Krawczyk and sophomore Joanna Smith defeated Western Michigan’s doubles team 8-3 and Krawczyk then went on to win her singles match against Iowa 6-2, 7-5.

ASU lost the other three singles matches on Saturday, but tennis coach Sheila McInerney is not worried about her team.

"I was really pleased with the play of our two freshmen,” McInerney said. “Desirae served very well today which allowed for her to dictate and take control of the match. Stephanie lost a tough three setter, but I thought she played very well and the match could have gone either way as she had a few match points."

Vlad took the first set against her opponent, but couldn’t close it out when she fell 6-3, 4-6, 5-7 to Iowa’s Ruth Seaborne.

ASU was nowhere to be found on the final day of the meet, losing all five matches on Sunday.

The freshmen doubles team proved to be unsuccessful as they lost to Michigan 8-0.

Vlad also lost her singles match without winning a single game, falling to Lauren Herring of Georgia 6-0 in both sets.

The Sun Devils look to bounce back next weekend as they travel to Berkley, Calif., for the Cal Nike Invitational.

Reach the reporter at drosenbl@asu.edu

×