Pitchfork Sports: New resources to help ASU fan base backfires

ASU weighs in via social media. Photo courtesy of @TheSunDevils.

Solid win last week, Devils.

Whether you tailgated before attending the game, watched it on TV, or kept score by the booming of the fireworks, last Thursday’s blowout of NAU was a great start to the season.

However, for some select fans, attending the game or even watching it on TV can be difficult with some changes to the ASU football experience.

ASU announced its new e-voucher system for football games, making it easier to obtain game day wristbands and to avoid long lines in triple digit heat.

During the week of a home game, students are able to go online and obtain vouchers for the section of their choice. They exchange the printed voucher for a wristband and are ready for game day.

However, for those with computer problems or scheduling conflicts, it created an unneeded stressor.

If you were unable to attend the game, you probably grabbed the remote and some friends and watched the game on TV. If you are a satellite TV customer, there’s a lingering problem.

The Pac-12 television network, which began broadcasting last month, is a national network offering around the clock coverage of the teams that make up the Pac-12 conference. When a new network or channel hits the air, they have to reach an agreement to be added on to the already scheduled networks that the cable/satellite providers carry.

The problem: there is no mutual agreement (although loosely rumored to be).

Sun Devil Athletics gives more feedback through Twitter. Photo courtesy of @TheSunDevils.

DirecTV is holding out and is not carrying the Pac-12 network, and many fans are finding out the hard way.

AT&T and Dish network also do not have the Pac-12 network on their channel lineups.

ASU vs. NAU was broadcasted on the Pac-12 network, along with five other Pac-12 games from the first week of the college football season.

Satellite customers were unable to watch them, and a deal in the near future remains a mystery.

This leaves some angry fans in the middle between the Pac-12 conference, and their cable/satellite provider DirecTV.

Do fans dump their cable/satellite provider for another cable provider and take their business somewhere else? Do they protest for their Pac-12 network to be available for AT&T/DirecTV/Dish?

The University of California’s Director of Athletics, Sandy Barbour, went with option number one.

Barbour, the AD of nine years at Cal, went very public with her decision. A YouTube video uploaded last week shows Barbour switching out her DirecTV package for a Comcast package.

Her decision to switch providers should be the popular one if a deal never gets reached.

ASU has taken their stance on the issue, and has taken to Twitter to make #Iwantmypac12 a threat to @DirecTV.

So if you want an e-voucher for any upcoming home games, head over to www.asustudenttickets.com, exchange your voucher for a wristband, and root on your Sun Devils as they play Illinois on Saturday.

ASU is in luck for the upcoming game, as ESPN will be providing the game at 7:30 p.m., as U of A gets its turn on the Pac-12 network as they play Oklahoma St.

Changes will always bring along disagreement and arguments. There will always be conversations about money, ratings, and business decisions. Whomever is speaking for The cable companies or the Pac-12 network are not the ones we should be paying attention to.

It is the fans, students, parents and families of the athletes.

Our voices mean the most, and the fan base of ASU and the other Pac-12 schools must come together to demand the Pac-12 network and satellite/cable provider agreement.

You can reach me at etrianta@asu.edu.

×