Pitchfork Sports: Sun Devil Sports Night: ASU sports for the fans, by the fans

The Cronkite school-- SDSN's headquarters. Photo by Evan Triantafilidis.

The school-spirited logo connects the broadcast to ASU. Photo courtesy of Louie Vertone.

“Sun Devil Sports Night is the Sportscenter for ASU”, says sophomore broadcast journalism major Louie Vertone.

Vertone has dreams of being a sports anchor, and noticed how ASU did not have a sports show that allows students to hone their anchoring and reporting skills.

“So, I pitched the idea of SDSN to Mark Lodato and Jim Jacoby-- the heads of Newswatch-- and they loved the idea” Vertone said.

Soon enough, a practice studio in the Walter Cronkite building became their home for shooting episodes and specials.

The weekly 30-minute segment airs on Friday at 7:00 PM on ASUtv and a stream is available on their Facebook page.

The first episode aired in February, and ever since then, the crew that Vertone assembled has been doing weekly shows and specials that cover notable national sports.

The Cronkite School-- SDSN's headquarters. Photo by Evan Triantafilidis.

“We cover anything and everything regarding ASU athletics, past present and future”, Vertone says. “We’ve done extensive coverage on the major sports as well as packages on the gymnastics and track teams.”

Comparing SDSN to ESPN’s Sportscenter is a bold statement, but the videos and episodes that are available to watch online back up Vertone’s comparison.

Thirty minutes of air time dedicated to ASU athletics had me intrigued and informed. The in-depth reporting and insight from students and sometimes fans make the show a must see if you want up to date news on ASU sports.

“We make sure we have reporters at all games and give equal coverage to all sports,” Vertone says. “We want ASU fans and students to know when they watch SDSN, they will get an update on all teams and learn about teams they maybe did not know existed.”

With high hopes for many ASU teams, Sun Devil Sports Night will be giving fans complete coverage of their favorite clubs and teams.

SDSN has come a long way since February. Vertone knows this.

“The show wouldn’t be possible without the behind the scene help of Kate Bolnick and the dedication of the entire SDSN team," Vertone says.

You can reach me at etrianta@asu.edu, and if you have any ideas for Pitchfork Sports to cover, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

×