The Campus Closet: Denim: America's Fall 2012 revolution

There are a variety of patterns and washes to jeans-- perfect for any fashionista's closet. Photo by Gabrielle Nelson.

Almost everyone I know owns a pair of jeans. Whether skinny, bell-bottomed, flared, or bootleg jeans, jeans are a unisex mainstay of Western fashion for both old and young people.

The pants that started off as a masculine work-wear can today be turned into dresses, button ups, dolled up with heals and a jacket or worn with boots and a t-shirt.

As the weather slowly starts to get cooler, I’ve been digging through my closet putting together my 2012 fall wardrobe. Being as busy as I am practical, being comfortable is essential. Still, being stylish is an important factor in my closet. It then dawned on me that denim is the perfect Fall go-to for the “I’m-too-hot-to-get-dressed-up-attitude.”

Denim can be edgy, tough, feminine or elegant. Anyone and everyone can wear it, and it doesn’t just have to come in the form of a pair of pants.

For the Fall of 2012, many designers have continued the 70s inspired trend in their new collections. Here are a few ways to incorporate denim into your outfit, and a few tips and tricks on taking care of it:

1. Cropped and Colored Jeans come in all shapes, sizes, colors, washes. This season its all about colored, cropped, and washed denim. For colors try and find earthy tones like plum and brown for Fall. Cropped jeans cut just above the ankle will be easy to dress up with heels, lengthening your silhouette. They are also the ideal type of jeans to be tucked into a a pair of boots. Florals, stripes, and other patterns on a pair of jeans is also super adorable right now. Weather you want to be super edgy or feminine jeans are always the go to easy solution for days you want to be comfortable in class.

2. Button downs, Jackets, and Vests Fitted jackets, button downs and vests are the perfect denim details to any outfit. Whether wearing a jacket or vest over a cute floral dress, or a button down with a maxi skirt it is the perfect denim accessory to any outfit. Also don’t be scared to wear denim on denim this Fall. Usually known as a fashion don’t, designers are doing it all over and it is looking adorable. Just make sure that the washes of denim compliment each other.

Denim dresses are a way to show off that jean style in the Arizona heat. Photo courtesy of Free People.

3. The denim dress Ever since I was a little girl I’ve rocked the denim dress. The 90s trend is back. Cute, simple and sexy wear a denim dress this fall with a pair of knee high socks, patterned leggings or boots. TLC Tips and Tricks: Don’t over wash your denim to avoid fading. When you do have to wash, make sure to turn the clothing inside out, wash on a very low heat, and avoid putting in the dryer afterwards. Instead leave to try naturally. This should add years to the clothing's life.

Any other suggestions for what I should write about next? Contact me at gmnelson@asu.edu

×