The Campus Closet: NYC's Fashion Week

"These are a new generation of crop tops that are more like sports bras than anything else. " Photo courtesy of Alessandro Lucioni.

Twice a year journalists, critics, designers and fashion conscious socialites gather and crowd the runways in New York City to get a first look at what is trending for the new season in fashion. Designers show off their latest collections as models strut down the runway in their hand crafted ensembles. Events take place all over the city; inspiration is the main goal of attendees.

Spring 2013 Fashion Week is happening right now. I have been watching very closely and have been greatly inspired by what the new season has to bring. Many of the ensembles on the runway are not ready to wear street style clothing, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take pieces from them. Here are three different trends I’ve seen and fallen in love with, and ways you can practicalize them into your street style clothing.

1. Crop Tops and the Exposed Midriff A cluster of designers showed the exposed midriff in many ensembles, and it will be a big for the new season. Unlike stiff boustiers of the past, these are a new generation of crop tops that are more like sports bras than anything else. This look is great paired with high waisted skirts, shorts and pants.

2. Stripes Horizontal... vertical... thick... skinny. Stripes of all colors, shapes, and sizes seemed to be all over the runways this last weekend. Wear stripes in any article of clothing. Use this simple pattern to your advantage and pair it with other simple colors and pieces.

3. Macrame: Reinvented The delicate and thinly spider-web like thread of macrame has made a comeback. Different from your Grandmother’s couch, it now comes in edgy patterns and designs. Wear it in a dress, shirt, or maxi skirt. Just make sure you have something cute to go under it.

This Marc Jacobs designer outfit incorporates stripes to stand out. Photo courtesy of Simon Nessman.

4. Muted Florals More dramatic than in previous years florals are shown to be in a “muted” tone. Try muted floral prints mixed with a solid color, preferably white or black to make the print really stand out.

5. Black and White Unlike last years colorful palette, this year designers showed lots of black and white. When black and white is done right it can really stand out in a crowd. Try mixing a bold colored accessory in with black and white and it will really pop.

Do you have any suggestions for stories? Email me at gmnelson@asu.edu

×